Won't open attachments in MS Word

This problem started just today. If I try to open a doc file attachment, Evernote Android will only use Hancom Office. It ignores MS Word completely. I haven't found any place to control that.

• Level 5

You could try this (the exact sequence may vary depending on your version of Android; I'm using Android 9 on a Samsung phone): go to Settings, then Apps. In the top right, tap the 3 dots and tap Default apps. (Or just search Settings for "Default apps.") Tap "Set as default." This should open up a list of apps--for me, I get all the apps on my phone, of which only a few are marked as "Set as default." Scroll down to Hancom Office Editor, tap it, and tap Clear defaults. I honestly don't know if this will work--there have been a number of reports of Evernote acting screwy when opening attachments. But it may be worth a try.

Bizarrely, I can't find Hancom in the list of installed apps on my phone. I know you can't completely uninstall it on a Samsung phone, and it obviously functions. That's a different problem, though, and has nothing to do with Evernote.

I just created two more notes as attachments of .doc files, and when I went to open them I was offered the opportunity to choose Word our Hancom. I chose word, and the two new notes now work just fine. The older one, however, still opens in Hancom.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 7/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, JerrySNB said:

I just created two more notes as attachments of .doc files, and when I went to open them I was offered the opportunity to choose Word our Hancom. I chose word, and the two new notes now work just fine. The older one, however, still opens in Hancom.

Glad the new ones are working properly. Would it be possible to recreate the old one as a new note to see if it behaves then? May be time to fire up the old weird-[stuff]-o-meter.

I just did what you suggested: I saved the attachment from the note and used it to create a new note. Exact same document. The new note displays the Word icon and opens in MS Word like it should.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 7/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, JerrySNB said:

I just did what you suggested: I saved the attachment from the note and used it to create a new note. Exact same document. The new note displays the Word icon and opens in MS Word like it should.

That's really interesting. Definitely moves the needle on that meter. I suspect that sometimes individual notes just get corrupted, and then give various kinds of grief. Mmph. Glad it's working now, though.