A simple way to boost Evernote market share.

RJLUK

Idea

I have looked at various ways of contacting Ian Small direct and cannot figure out how to do it....if someone has the kings ear maybe he/she/they could share this?

"Good afternoon I am as a long-term Evernote user 10 years I offer some suggestions for you to look at closely.

This has been mentioned on the Evernote forum many many times again go back 10 years but nobody seem to take any notice and every time this is mentioned now it's dismissed and people are told to accept Evernote for the way it is.

I think that  the company is missing a major sales point which would enable Evernote to replace several commonly use applications which again on the subscription basis for example Ulysses, if I may explain.

If you are writing anything a book a blog post anything at all that requires research then many of us utilise Evernote obviously when we wondering round the Internet finding information that may be used in the article and save it to evernote.

It would be a huge benefit if you could manually sort notes within a folder as opposed to alphabetical order created etc because ,then, if you sort them manually and then merge them together there is your article or even a book created.

It's not possible at the moment and nobody will listen and even consider implementing it.

This leads me onto a second point

If you're using a Mac for example, you can merge notes together, this does not appear to be possible on iOS device to say iPad or iPhone and there used to be third-party applications are allowed you to do it which are no longer available 

A major downfall of Evernote is it it's not a consistent across platforms. Considering the marketing drive by apple to get people to move towards iPads in place of laptops ( not something I agree with)the lack of a merge facility prevents many doing so.

I believe you can't even merged using the web application which would be a fix which most people could live with "

So two things

1. Manual sorting
  2. The ability to merge notes on any device using that would enable you to replace the likes of Ulysses and Scrivener.'

Post on the Evernote forum relating to above suggestions are met with responses such as "if you don't like what Evernote does move on...Evernote is not a replacement for xxxxxx"

BUT they are missing the point...if EN wish to survive and generate more income why not strive to take over the market share of other programs?

If the self appointed "Forum Police" want to tell me not to ask for developments that others have been asking for for years and been ignored...save your energy and don't bother 😉 

The elephant in the corner of the room is being ignored.....

• Like 1

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rob24hrs said:

If you are writing anything a book a blog post anything at all that requires research then many of us utilise Evernote obviously when we wondering round the Internet finding information that may be used in the article and save it to evernote.

Even for non-authors, Evernote is a useful tool for storing reference data    
plus all my notes/documents - I'm currently over 15k notes

>>If you're using a Mac for example, you can merge notes together

Merge is a Windows/Mac feature   
An issue with Macs is the merge sequence is not based on the selected sequence

>>A major downfall of Evernote is it it's not a consistent across platforms

True, although I don't think  "downfall" is the correct word   
I've always considered in my Evernote use; Mac is primary, iPad is supplemental   
I'd like to see more features for the iPad

>>Evernote is not a replacement for xxxxxx"

Definetly not a replacement for Ulysses and Scrivener

>> Manual Sorting

There's a request posted a https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/119032-manual-sort/   
To indicate your support, Use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

>>contacting Ian Small direct 

Ian's a busy guy   
Posting here is fine

• Like 1
On 5/27/2020 at 6:45 PM, DTLow said:

>>Evernote is not a replacement for xxxxxx"

Definetly not a replacement for Ulysses and Scrivener

Yes but it could fulfil same role .....

>> Manual Sorting

There's a request posted a https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/119032-manual-sort/   
To indicate your support, Use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussiony

Bit pointless that post is 9 years old- it seems nobody listens....time to look for an alternative.