Idea

I should be able to sort notes in a notebook manually, and Evernote should remember each notebook's manual sort order if I later select an alphabetic sort and then want to go back to viewing my manual sort order. (New notes added after my manual sort could be added to either the top or the bottom of the lists in the manual sort view.) I'm using Evernote 2.0 on OS X.

• Like 3

37 replies to this idea

+1 for manual sort order!

Seems like a very natural basic build block thing to do with lots of applications - scrum board, gtd, writing a term paper, helping to decide which patern I like best - this something I have been itching for for a while. The idea that you can already do this by tagging or changing the title to affect sort just seems silly to me. 50 notes and I want to change the order of 1 note in the middle?

I don't think you need a field to show the priority, just let me drag them around and remember what order they are in the next time I open evernote. If I move a note to a new notebook, just drop it to the bottom.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I didn't even know this thread existed. I have been wanting the same thing, but I haven't been able to express it very clearly, and here we are with a simple solution: a manual sort order. Yes. This is what I want.

I do a lot of writing, amongst other things, and I would appreciate the ability to arrange and re-arrange notes freely. Once you have more than a handful of notes, the renaming process to change the sort (using sort by title) or re-dating process (using sort by created date) becomes quite laborious, and on some platforms (the iOS), the re-dating option isn't available.

My current workaround is to create a note full of note links. Then, it is a relatively simple matter to cut/paste in order to change the order. This works well enough, but it isn't quite the same, because you are jumping from note to note instead of seeing them all lined up conveniently in the center pane. We cannot make note links on mobile platforms yet, so this is only an option if you are using desktops.

It isn't a deal-breaker or anything, but the ability to manually determine the search order could potentially affect a lot of users. Complaints about the inability to pin notes to the top, GTD folks, writers, users preparing a kind of "slide show" of notes with photographs, and people sharing notebooks (multiple users with multiple naming conventions make things a bit messy).

• Like 2

Interesting suggestion - Have you tried sorting by selecting the topic at the top of each column? Can you offer an example of what you want to sort? There are several work-around solutions that might address your need.

We've had this suggestion before, back a couple of months ago. Basically means having a separate field (or index) that tracks manual order, which changes when you move notes around, possibly cascading into other notes (e.g. I have notes in order 1, 2 and 3, I move 3 above 2 and so must change both 2 and 3's sort order index -- swaps them in this case). Also gets a little messy and possible confusing if I am viewing a filtered list (via notebook or tag or saved search), and start moving things around: how does it affect other notes not currently being viewed?

~Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff,

Basically means having a separate field (or index) that tracks manual order,

Not necessarily. The simplest solution (practically zero storage overhead) is to attach a map/dictionary to each user's account called "Sorted Notebooks": a dictionary where each key is the Globally Unique ID of a Notebook and each value is a comma delimited string of sorted Note GUIDs. When I opt to sort a Notebook manually, the string of Note GUIDs is re-hydrated into a linked list of Note GUIDs. (Inserting into a linked list only ever requires updating two list items.) This linked list determines the order of the Notes, and Notes added after the last manual sort can be added to the end of the linked list.

Also gets a little messy and possible confusing if I am viewing a filtered list (via notebook or tag or saved search), and start moving things around: how does it affect other notes not currently being viewed?

Great point. If, in a Search, Saved Search, or Tag view, the user started dragging a note to re-order it, they'd get either of the following prompts:

"This list is currently being sorted by search or tag criteria. Please select a Notebook to re-order its contents."

or

"This list is currently being sorted by search or tag criteria. If you want to manually re-sort this particular set of notes, click *here* to create a new 'Scrapbook' based on this list. Otherwise, select a Notebook to re-order its contents.

(A Scrapbook, which would really be just a list of note GUIDs, would be very handy if you cared to implement it. E.g. If I, as a Dungeon Master, had a Notebook of Drow NPCs and a Notebook of Dwarf NPCs, I could select notes from each Notebook to make a Scrapbook called "possible encounters for the Underground Campaign"-- I wouldn't want to clutter up my tag namespace with such an arbitrary tag.)

And, of course, Evernote coders could create a dictionary called "Sorted Tags" which would work just like "Sorted Notebooks" described above.

jbenson2,

My use case happens to be GTD, where each Notebook is a "project" and each Note is a "next action". Another use case might be a writer or journalist needing to manually organize a story. Numbering the title of each Note in a notebook might work, and then using fractions (e.g. 1.25) when I need to squeeze a Note in between whole numbers, but I think Evernote can make this happen.

• Like 1

My use case happens to be GTD,

Please search on GTD - some people have been able to tweak EN to work with the GTD philosophy.

but I think Evernote can make this happen.

They probably can. I don't know. But they probably won't.

My use case happens to be GTD, where each Notebook is a "project" and each Note is a "next action". Another use case might be a writer or journalist needing to manually organize a story. Numbering the title of each Note in a notebook might work, and then using fractions (e.g. 1.25) when I need to squeeze a Note in between whole numbers, but I think Evernote can make this happen.

There are a lot of folks who would like to see GTD in Evernote. Even Phil Libin, the Evernote CEO, said on 4/05/2010: All notes will get a “due date” field in the next couple of versions. You can then use all sorts of third-party reminder and calendar apps with it.

We've had a couple versions released since then, so I am hoping the due date field will be just around the corner (with the caveat that priorities do change).

It is my experience that there are many ways to skin a cat with Evernote. (sorry for the poor choice of words PETA). I use the create date to track my GTD items in the future. But once the Due Date becomes available, watch out. There will be a flurry of new ways to work your GTD items.

I could envision the new "Due Date" field being helpful for a journalist who wants to add chapters to his story and keep them in order. Another fellow in this forum was looking for a way to sort his Biblical notes based on the books of the bible. Kind of puts a different meaning to the End of Days. Using the Due Date as a sort method is not perfect, but it could be a nice step forward. And the "Due Date" field will allow for integration with third party reminder apps.

I don't see this as a GTD feature request-- If I know that a notebook is sorted just the way I like it, I can scroll to the middle or the end of the notebook to find the note I need without having to remember the title of the note. It seems technically fairly do-able; if I'm wrong, let me know.

I'm sure I can make Evernote work as my GTD system as-is. I don't even particularly want a 'due date' field for notes at this time, because if you're doing GTD right (which I rarely am) you're looking at your lists often enough that you have a sense of when things are due, and you're looking at an actual calender (which is only for things with hard deadlines) as well.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Your first sentence started out with "My use case happens to be GTD", so I expanded on it. I also mentioned the variety of uses that a due date will offer and why so many people are asking for it. One of them could be the ability to manually sort notes in a sequence that is important to the user. To sort notebooks into a user-specific sequence, just use a prefix in front of the notebook's name. The drawback is you don't get the ability to easily re-sort the notebooks in a different fashion.

My use case happens to be GTD,
I don't see this as a GTD feature request--

???

It seems technically fairly do-able; if I'm wrong, let me know.

The only people who can address that are those who work at EN. But as has been pointed out a few times, now, this doesn't seem to be anything EN is interested in adding. But if they were, it would be a good long while, so it's best to learn to use the tools already in EN.

BnF, just so other readers of this thread aren't confused;

I wrote that "My use case happens to be GTD..." in response to jbenson2's request for an example of how a manual sort might be used. I did not mention GTD in my original feature request because I see this feature as something anyone might use constantly once they clicked on a note and realized they could drag it up or down within a notebook.

It sounds like Evernote is definitely going to implement links between notes, which might serve as a workaround toward this feature, especially if Evernote uses

what I refer to a note as 

syntax.

A modest proposal: every note is also a notebook!

I was going to suggest that you turn the notebook/note paradigm into a tree paradigm (where each note also has a notebook attribute) but I believe that allowing users to order notes in a notebook manually will be logically equivalent, at least for most purposes. Also, keeping the tree paradigm acyclic might be a challenge. Having said that, a graph of notes might be interesting...

+1 for manual sort order!

Seems like a very natural basic build block thing to do with lots of applications - scrum board, gtd, writing a term paper, helping to decide which patern I like best - this something I have been itching for for a while. The idea that you can already do this by tagging or changing the title to affect sort just seems silly to me. 50 notes and I want to change the order of 1 note in the middle?

I don't think you need a field to show the priority, just let me drag them around and remember what order they are in the next time I open evernote. If I move a note to a new notebook, just drop it to the bottom.

Yes, yes, and yes. 

Give us manual sort.

It is so important for organizing your notes, particularly if you have a big folder.

Seems such a simple thing. Why can you do it, Evernote?

Yes, yes, and yes. 

Give us manual sort.

It is so important for organizing your notes, particularly if you have a big folder.

Seems such a simple thing. Why can you do it, Evernote?

but I think Evernote can make this happen.

They probably can. I don't know. But they probably won't.

Manual sort! Please!

Evernote is simply useless to me as a writer without manual sort. The traditional method of index cards is tried and true. Until Evernote can mimic that basic, basic functionality, I'm not interested. I downloaded in hope, but alas, I can't use EN until it lets me sort notes manually. 

Maybe there is another product out there that does? I'm going to go looking.

Manual sort! Please!

Evernote is simply useless to me as a writer without manual sort. The traditional method of index cards is tried and true. Until Evernote can mimic that basic, basic functionality, I'm not interested. I downloaded in hope, but alas, I can't use EN until it lets me sort notes manually. 

Maybe there is another product out there that does? I'm going to go looking.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. There is no manual sort in Evernote. OneNote is a product that has it. Some possible workarounds with Evernote include using the Shortcuts area (on Mac) for manual sorting. Alternatively, you could create an "index" note with links to all of the notes for your writing, and move those note links around within the index note.

Outside of Evernote, Scrivener is an excellent piece of software designed for writers. It uses the index card metaphor. I quite like it. This means that Evernote becomes my place for research and Scrivener is used for writing.

I too have felt the need of manual sorting in various occasions, this will be quite handy if introduced. Its quite easy to remember the order we have listed something rather than trying to fit our needs as in the system.

I'm not very optimistic since it has been requested for almost 4 years...

But still : +1 for manual sorting :) (on mac client)

+ 1 billion for manual sort

VHQbbMt.png

My current solution...

Manual sort of Notebooks and notes and nesting Notebooks (even just a couple of levels) would make EN the go to for all my personal and professional projects rather than just some of them.

• Like 1

Manual sort of Notebooks and notes and nesting Notebooks (even just a couple of levels) would make EN the go to for all my personal and professional projects rather than just some of them.

Hello PrecariousPhoto,

nested notebooks are already available (at least, on mac client).

we can make "piles" with notebooks to organize them together. Just one level available though.

Hello PrecariousPhoto,

nested notebooks are already available (at least, on mac client).

we can make "piles" with notebooks to organize them together. Just one level available though.

Evernote does not have nested notebooks. Stacks (the Evernote term) can *group* notebooks. But stacks cannot contain notes or other stacks.

• Like 1

Hello PrecariousPhoto,

nested notebooks are already available (at least, on mac client)

Evernote does not have nested notebooks. Stacks (the Evernote term) can *group* notebooks. But stacks cannot contain notes or other stacks.

Sorry, I may have not understood PrecariousPhoto's request properly (I'm french).

"Nested notebooks" and "stacks" looked pretty much the same to me. It's a new level to organize your work by grouping your notebooks (as you group your notes in notebooks).

But now, reading your post BurgersNFries, I get the difference :)

Sorry, I may have not understood PrecariousPhoto's request properly (I'm french).

"Nested notebooks" and "stacks" looked pretty much the same to me. It's a new level to organize your work by grouping your notebooks (as you group your notes in notebooks).

But now, reading your post BurgersNFries, I get the difference :)

No problem. ;-)

Stacking is great in some situations. It's a nice tool to have and I do use it.

But nested notebooks (just two levels even) and !!! manual sort !!! would bring a much more productive and efficient workflow to EN for some of its users.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2014 at 10:14 AM, PrecariousPhoto said:

Stacking is great in some situations. It's a nice tool to have and I do use it.

But nested notebooks (just two levels even) and !!! manual sort !!! would bring a much more productive and efficient workflow to EN for some of its users.

I keep trying to like evernote but my mind works best when there's a consistent order. Numbering is really annoying and it's not at all useable. e.g. i have both nested notebooks and tags and have to number everything to keep the order i need. That would be semi ok but when adding a new note and i try to type a tag in for it i get no suggestions as i type. It doesn't recognise it as an established tag as my tag has numbers in front of it to be able to order them in the nest. e.g. i want to add the tag "film" but i now have to remember that it's called "2.1. film". And forget about it on the iphone. That 2-column list of tags is laughable. 

It's essentially a fatal flaw for me and i'm sure many power users. And why i continue to keep cycling between onenote and evernote. Evernote has great capture but onenote has end to end usability. 

4 hours ago, kih305 said:

I keep trying to like evernote but my mind works best when there's a consistent order. Numbering is really annoying and it's not at all useable. e.g. i have both nested notebooks and tags and have to number everything to keep the order i need. That would be semi ok but when adding a new note and i try to type a tag in for it i get no suggestions as i type. It doesn't recognise it as an established tag as my tag has numbers in front of it to be able to order them in the nest. e.g. i want to add the tag "film" but i now have to remember that it's called "2.1. film". And forget about it on the iphone. That 2-column list of tags is laughable. 

It's essentially a fatal flaw for me and i'm sure many power users. And why i continue to keep cycling between onenote and evernote. Evernote has great capture but onenote has end to end usability. 

For me, consistent order means alpha - a random order seems like chaos even if assigned by me

Not sure why your tag naming uses 2.1.film instead of simply film   This would also confuse me
Can you explain why film can't be simply film

On 27/09/2016 at 10:21 PM, DTLow said:

For me, consistent order means alpha - a random order seems like chaos even if assigned by me

Not sure why your tag naming uses 2.1.film instead of simply film   This would also confuse me

Sure thing. So i think structurally. I process the information i gather, ideas i have and projects i'm doing by putting it in a certain place. My brain is more at ease knowing where it is. This structure is part of my planning - certain orders related to importance or sequence or just the order i thought of it all. So i need a manual base structure and then tagging on top of that for additional mashups. The way evernote is currently there is no way for me to work. There are major flaws with both the notebook and tag implementation.

Notebooks: If i try to use notebooks i only get two levels (and it's infuriating to try to quickly add a whole project with the kludgy way you have to do it).

Tags: If i try to use tags, then i have to number them all to maintain the order. The issue here is extra time, i have to remember the exact number of each tag to be able to add it to any note and when i try to find something from tags on ios it's a cluster fk (some weird two column alphabetical list - where's the hierarchy i worked so hard to create??).  

• Like 1

On 2016-09-27 at 5:21 AM, DTLow said:

46 minutes ago, kih305 said:

Tags: If i try to use tags, then i have to number them all to maintain the order. The issue here is extra time, i have to remember the exact number of each tag to be able to add it to any note and when i try to find something from tags on ios it's a cluster fk (some weird two column alphabetical list - where's the hierarchy i worked so hard to create??).  

You haven't explained why you're using 2.1.1film instead of simply film
I gather you want to maintain some sort of order other than alpha - but why?

Regardless, on my Mac, I could make use of the taglist in my sidebar to locate tags if I had a complicated hierarchy

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You haven't explained why you're using 2.1.1film instead of simply film
I gather you want to maintain some sort of order other than alpha - but why?

Regardless, on my Mac, I could make use of the taglist in my sidebar to locate tags if I had a complicated hierarchy

Yes you could make use of a taglist on your mac. But I'm sure, like me, most of us are on a mobile device at least half the time. 

Thought i explained why I want manual sort. "This structure is part of my planning - certain orders related to importance or sequence or just the order i thought of it all." This is very important for me to treat my note taking system as an extension of my brain. I review data/idea/research as groups of notes. So if i want to return to my notes on "film" i need it to be where i left it and ordered the same way for me to quickly pick up where i left off. 

• Like 1

2016 Evernote.

PLEASE — Provide manual sorting options for Notebooks (and Notes).

COME ON. This is as essential as it gets for a lot of users. PLEASE. MANUAL SORTING OPTIONS.

Moved to the Evernote Feature Requests subforum, where it can be upvoted by forum-goers...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jefito said:

Moved to the Evernote Feature Requests subforum, where it can be upvoted by forum-goers...

Jefito — Thanks, do you have a link for that?

Also a very big +1 for manual sort. Please consider doing this!

Currently I'm using the alphabetical approach like this one, but that's a pain in the a** if you have to reorder notes or just slightly change order related things...

So pleeeeeaaaaseee would ya???

On 5.12.2014 at 0:35 AM, PrecariousPhoto said:

+ 1 billion for manual sort

VHQbbMt.png

My current solution...

In addition to the current available options to sort by Title, Create date or Modify date (in ascending or decending order), I'd love to be able to manually sort for some note books. 

Now, my workaround is to put a number in  front of the note title and sort by title. But changes are tedious.

For specific notebooks, being able to select to sort manually and drag & drop the notes in the desired order would be a blessing.