Using Hazel to create tags dynamically

Any applescript ninjas out there who know how to do this?

I am familiar with applying "static" tags when creating notes with applescript out of Hazel. I am not very familiar with how to use variables when assigning the tags.

my current script would be

tell application "Evernote"  
activate  create note from file theFile notebook {"Statements"} tags {"FY1920"}
synchronize
end tell

The FY1920 tag indicates "financial year 2019-2020". Right now when it clicks to a new year over I have to go in and update my scripts in Hazel. After years of doing this I would like to have them be created dynamically.

Hazel can provide me the data via custom attributes. I need to be able to take the raw year data from the Hazel custom attribute, convert the date to just 2 digit year, subtract one year from the first one, add "FY" to the front of the string then use that string for tagging in the apple script.

Anyone done this and could provide some code I could try?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, mpacker said:

The FY1920 tag indicates "financial year 2019-2020". Right now when it clicks to a new year over I have to go in and update my scripts in Hazel. After years of doing this I would like to have them be created dynamically.

Here's an example of working with dates

set {year:y, month:m, day:d, hours:h, minutes:min, seconds:sec} to current date
set d to (text -2 thru -1 of ("0" & d as text))
set m to m as integer
set m to (text -2 thru -1 of ("0" & m as text))
set y1 to y as integer
set y2 to y1 - 1

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mpacker said:

Anyone have experience with variables in tag names, and how to do it considering the " ".

You're currently using    create note from file theFile notebook {"Statements"} tags {"FY1920"}
Change to                        create note from file theFile notebook "Statements" tags {FYaabb}

FYaabb is a variable (no quotes)
You need to assign a value; something like     Set FYaabb  to  "FY"  &  y2  &  y1

y1 and y2 are variables which you need to assign values