Jump to content

Change the password for text encription


Recommended Posts

Hello,

is there any way to change the passowrd used to encript/decript text in the notes ?

I have entered a too simple password the first time just to try out the encription and now there seems to be no way to change it.

Thanks in advance,

Gerard.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Gerard S said:

Has anyone figured out how to change the password to encrypt/decrypt text once set for the first time ?

Help is appreciated !

No mass method as far as I know.  On a one at a time basis right click on the encrypted text, select Decrypt Text Permanently, re-encrypt.  Then be sure to remember the two passwords.  ;)

image.png.9a6f08c39ef1d8c3489c2ddb469281a1.png

You can search for encryption: to find all notes with encrypted text, FYI.

Link to post

Thanks @CalS for your reply. I could not reproduce what you suggest. That is, I cannot decrypt permanently and then re-encript with another password. Even if I could, the original problem would still be unsolved, namely, how to change the password that was set the first time. Best regards.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Gerard S said:

Thanks @CalS for your reply. I could not reproduce what you suggest. That is, I cannot decrypt permanently and then re-encript with another password. Even if I could, the original problem would still be unsolved, namely, how to change the password that was set the first time. Best regards.

You are welcome.  You could get the Decrypt Text Permanently dialog to appear?

Link to post

Hi @CalS.. yes I can Decrypt the text permanently. That eliminates the encryption on the chosen text. However, when I re-encrypt, no new password is requested but instead the one I introduced the first time is used. Best regards.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, Gerard S said:

Hi @CalS.. yes I can Decrypt the text permanently. That eliminates the encryption on the chosen text. However, when I re-encrypt, no new password is requested but instead the one I introduced the first time is used. Best regards.

After you Decrypt the text when encrypt again you should get the dialog box as if you encrypt for the first time.  Enter the new phrase then.  Works for me anyway.

Decrypt.gif.ab6df9da4237c228fdad4c2d5b2413a6.gif

Link to post

Hi @CalS.. oh yes it worked ! :)

The fact of that the "Hint" used for the initial password appears when encrypting new text confused me making me think that one must use the same password as before. I now realize that one may enter a new passphrase to encrypt the new text.

Thanks again!

G.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Gerard S said:

Hi @CalS.. oh yes it worked ! :)

The fact of that the "Hint" used for the initial password appears when encrypting new text confused me making me think that one must use the same password as before. I now realize that one may enter a new passphrase to encrypt the new text.

Thanks again!

G.

You are welcome. Need to be careful if you have more than one encryption password as to which applies to which. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...