[SOLVED] Can not update on Windows 10 (Evernote.msi may be damaged)

Hi!

I've been searching in the forum but no one seems to have the same problem as me.

I've tried to do the las update (version 6.21 to 6.22) but it can not be done. As far as I've been able to find out, current version has to be removed and in order to do so, current evernote.msi is used but mine seems to be damaged so 6.21 current version can not be uninstalled. I can not update Evernote by the updating menu option, nor unistalling 6.21 manually by Windows Control Panel in order to install a brand new 6.22 downloaded installer. If I try to install the new downloaded installer, it tries to unistall previous version too, so the problem is the same.

So I think I need to do one of theese things now:

- Get an Evernote 6.21 installer to replace the damaged one and make the current version unistallable

- Remove current installation manually in order to let 6.22 installer to do its thing

Thank you in advance

hace 18 horas, gazumped dijo:

Hi.  6.21 should be available here 

It's usually a bad idea to remove a previous version manually - too much gets left behind.  Revo Uninstaller Free will do the job if you want to try that,  but I'd strongly advise refreshing the installation first.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

Thank you very much. I'll try that but what do you mean by "refreshing the installation"?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, rogonma said:

I'll try that but what do you mean by "refreshing the installation"?

Sorry - I meant downloading 6.21 again and trying to install it over the top of the damaged  version you have.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rogonma said:

Yes, I'll try it again but I'm afraid I will have to use Revo

I've used Revo a few times without any bad effects - though it's always wise to copy your /Databases folder somewhere safe like the desktop or an external drive,  especially if you have any local notebooks.  Good luck!

On 12/24/2019 at 2:50 AM, rogonma said:

Thank you very much. I'll try that but what do you mean by "refreshing the installation"?

Just run the old installer again. If it prompts for anything, you're doing a "repair". EN should be able to upgrade (or uninstall) fine after that.

It sounds as though you may have some clean up tool that is removing msi files from \Windows\Installer. As you can see, that's a _really_ bad idea. Those MSIs are used as the script to uninstall old programs.

• Like 1
  • rogonma changed the title to [SOLVED] Can not update on Windows 10 (Evernote.msi may be damaged)