Sharing UX fails

Eddy P

Idea

When I share, most of the time - The person never gets the document that I try to share. Let me explain.

I almost never share notes. I did share a document a few days ago and got this reply: 

"We received your request to chat through Evernote.  Unfortunately we do not use this software/platform. Would you please ensure any future correspondence is by telephone, email, fax or letter."

If I remember correctly, I have only used the share option 3 times, 2 of the 3 times, I got a response similar to the one above. This would suggest the share option is broken. i.e. I don't want to use it and when I do use it, most of the time it fails work. I don't mean it does not share, I mean the document does not get shared. The person never gets the document that I try to share. 

Eddy.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Eddy P said:

I did share a document a few days ago and got this reply: 

The function you're using is to share notes with other Evernote users      
The note is shared via the Evernote/chat feature

There's other options to share notes with non-Evernote users; email, web url

DTLow

My point is sharing fails - i.e. the UX fails. 

I understand there is more than one way to share. I have used a link to share and also the same outcome. I.e. the person did not get the document and I need another solution. I don't think any it work well, but maybe I am wrong, as I avoid using it.

How have you got on, with sharing. Is there a good way to share documents that actually works 99% of the time. ie. the user gets the shared document 99% of the time?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Eddy P said:

How have you got on, with sharing. Is there a good way to share documents that actually works 99% of the time. ie. the user gets the shared document 99% of the time?

First, identify if sharing with an Evernote user

Non-Evernote user    

• Sharing by email works; the user receives a copy of the note
  • Sharing by url works; the user views the note in a web browser

Evernote user   

• Sharing works; the user receives a notice via Evernote chat

Thanks. 

• Shareable link -  I see "Shareable link" has improved and is good for sharing. It looks like the old message that asked you to sign up has gone. much better.
  • The "Invite People" is a little vague, it invites people to signup to evernote so they can edit/view. This is what caused my problem. .... the app is better, as it says "Share within evernote".
  • Sharing by email - I could not find this on the web app or the mobile app. Maybe this is a desktop feature. 

Anyway, thanks for you help with this. I now have a way to share that should work.