Backup application preferences as a file & restore them

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're talking about migrating your account to a new computer,  the process would be to download and install a new copy of Evernote on the new machine,  but to log out before downloading the current server copy of your notes.  Replace the 'empty' Databases folder of the new account,  by overwriting a recent copy of that folder from an existing account,  and log back in to allow the server to sync up to date.  Any settings should have been transferred across...

The same process might work for copying your account to another device,  but I've never tested whether all settings are duplicated.

So far there is no specific process just to copy settings.

No, I'm not talking about migrating my account, I'm talking about having two accounts on two machines with the same application preferences.

But even when your migrating an account, copying database folder is not a "modern" way for sending application preferences. It would be better to have the option of saving & restoring preferences as a file, which most of the windows applications have 😉

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, hamidshirvani68@gmail.com said:

No, I'm not talking about migrating my account, I'm talking about having two accounts on two machines with the same application preferences.

But even when your migrating an account, copying database folder is not a "modern" way for sending application preferences. It would be better to have the option of saving & restoring preferences as a file, which most of the windows applications have 😉

Well, "modern" or not, some of the application options are stored in the registry, and some of them may be stored in the database; I could probably check the latter to see whether changes to one account affect changes on the second of my accounts, both of which can be active on the same machine.

Hate to say it, but most of the user configurable values in the software that I work on are stored in the registry. Of course, you can export those and re-import them elsewhere, though you might get stuff that you wish you hadn't. Given that this is a 20+ year old program, I'm not going to feel too bad about it...

• Level 5*
On 12/4/2019 at 5:34 PM, hamidshirvani68@gmail.com said:

copying database folder is not a "modern" way for sending application preferences.

I'm not sure that Evernote are too bothered about supporting users on duplicated installations.  There's no 'official' option to copy or maintain settings,  I was just suggesting an option that might work...

I appreciate your effort to suggest a solution.

Evernote should be bothered about migrations, and being able to easily backup settings is a must have in such situations.

And it is not about duplicating data, it's about duplicating settings for multiple users in a workplace & etc.

I think it would be a big concern syncing each and every setting in a workplace with multiple users, sharing their business notebooks.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, hamidshirvani68@gmail.com said:

duplicating settings for multiple users in a workplace

Each user gets the option to set Evernote up to their own taste.  I'd imagine there is a move at Evernote HQ to get any settings stored outside the app saved somewhere central so a single user could move the app and all their settings to a new computer.  The Basic and subscription accounts are all aimed at single users,  so sharing settings hasn't been a consideration.

9 hours ago, hamidshirvani68@gmail.com said:

syncing each and every setting in a workplace with multiple users

That would be a Business account,  which comes with its own Administrator level and more control over who can do what with various features.  Users still get access to their own preferences though.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, hamidshirvani68@gmail.com said:

And it is not about duplicating data, it's about duplicating settings for multiple users in a workplace & etc.

Which is data, ironically...

17 hours ago, hamidshirvani68@gmail.com said:

I think it would be a big concern syncing each and every setting in a workplace with multiple users, sharing their business notebooks.

Don't know whether that's a big use case for them in the context of the normal single-user Evernote accounts. Some setting *should* be up to the individual user (maybe most), even in a business environment. In the current system, with no explicit support for shared settings, an admin could determine what settings are governed by the registry, and distribute .reg files for users to install. But there's be no stopping users from overriding those settings, though. Just curious: which Evernote settings would you be interested in being common?

That being said, there may be better support for onboarding new users in the Evernote for Business product (I don't know a lot about that). You might try asking in this forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/277-evernote-business/

Archived