Option to see Linked notes as Attachments...

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*

OK this comes out of a recent Amazon purchase of 6 separate items,  but might be applicable to other types of note...

My normal process when buying something has been to copy the on-screen order confirmation and the inevitable email receipt(s) [I use PayPal] into a note with the title <date> - purchase - vendor - item so it's all together.

Any subsequent emails get dragged and dropped from my Outlook inbox to the note via the desktop as separate little MSG files like this - 

ScreenClip.png.f31fbe067c740043c409c81b84cee2e8.png

...the final delivery note gets added to the note and COMPLETE goes into the title.

You'll notice the minor problems here - emails get dragged to the desktop before being added to the note;  and the file date shows as the date it was moved across,  not the date of the email.  Don'tcha love Windows...

But at least I keep all the random emails connected with a purchase out of my inbox and my Outlook database.  They're more searchable in one place - Evernote - and double-clicking an icon opens the original email in Outlook so I can remind or reply if necessary.  (I now have inbox zero on three of my four main email addresses!)

An alternative would be for me to save each email as a separate note,  and scan in any paper I receive,  and then merge all the notes on completion.  It would actually be more efficient to do this to individual emails and delivery notes rather than search Evernote for the 'control' copy and attach each element.  But emails contain a lot of sales rubbish as well as the product and price details I need: and a merged note is a very long note (I've done it a few times) if it shows all the details inline.

What I'm wondering is:  if there's any review of the note linking process so's to make tables of content-style control panels easier to create manually,  could we also get the option to include a linked note as an attachment so it's possible to open the content if required,  but in normal views you just get the link / icon.

I can already think of lots of potential problems with the idea,  but if anyone else thinks optionally being able to see linked notes inline in the 'table of contents' note body would be useful,  please show your support for the idea in the usual way...

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

could we also get the option to include a linked note as an attachment so it's possible to open the content if required,  but in normal views you just get the link / icon.

I understand it's extra clicks, but I don't have a problem with "open the content if required"  for linked notes

re: Amazon Order - I use separate notes and cleanup with the merge feature