Note size has greatly inflated

lynnor

After running out of space (quickly!!), I did an experiment in another account:

I had a clipped note (simplified article) from earlier in the year: clip size = 205kb

I just now clipped the same article, simplified again: clip size = 995kb

Almost 5x larger!

I don't want to totally blow up my account, but this is nuts. I am suspecting any images are being clipped at inflated file sizes or *something*.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you exported the note to ENEX to get a separate file-size on this?  You'd need a desktop installation to do that. 

You could also try Simplify or Remove Formatting to dump any hidden style coding that might be complicating the issue.  Clipping the same page in a different browser would also give you some indications of possible issues.

Once uploaded,  the clip size is set against your limit for the month,  so reducing the size after the event won't gain you anything (except maybe faster loading of the note).

Copying and pasting content without using Clipper might also change the eventual note size,  but sadly not necessarily for the better - some experimentation might be useful.

Beyond clipping carefully,  and maybe using different methods to import content into a note - there are various ways to clip a page including printing or converting it into a PDF file - there's not a great deal to be done.  If you can use different methods of 'clipping' content,  it would be possible to clip to a Local (unsynced) Notebook* so that an unexpected note size doesn't sandbag you - Local Notes can be moved to a synced notebook when you have the upload capacity to do so.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

I always use Web Clipper in the same browser (chrome) on the same laptop - so no browser influence there.

Both notes were clipped using Simplify (as noted), so shouldn't be any change there. And it's not just this note. Any other notes I clipped this month were much larger than they should have been, esp (or only?) those with images.

The fact is, I'm not the only person running out of space quickly. I'm a "basic" user, so they probably don't care about me but paid users running into this surely will have issues with being forced to upgrade or leave.

ETA: More test results

In ENEX, the sizes are the same as previously noted.

Tried another web clip - similar inflations.  Original saved a few months ago the image sizes 75kb (old) vs 341kb (new) and 106kb (old) vs 735kb (new).

The main difference I see (besides size) is that images are now saved as PNG vs JPG. I even tried this on my own website. The full-sized uploaded image is a 104kb JPG. What is clipped is a 604kb PNG. So, I was being generous when I said it seems sizes are 5x larger. It is often likely more.

Thus this BUG/POOR DESIGN is eating up disk/server/alloted space.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, lynnor said:

The fact is, I'm not the only person running out of space quickly. I'm a "basic" user, so they probably don't care about me but paid users running into this surely will have issues with being forced to upgrade or leave.

You're right about the basic level in lots of software including this app - you generally get "the services you pay for". 

Subscribers get considerably higher limits - 1GB (in discontinued Plus) and 10GB,  so not so much pressure unless there are a lot of clips to save.  JPG is a compressible image format,  so pictures can be much smaller than PNG which is better quality,  but a much larger file size.

Not sure that Evernote would regard this as a bug or poor design - they're simply ensuring that the images you save are in the best available quaility. 

You could always opt to save web content by different means - for different reasons I save some clips with just the body text,  then wait for the note to appear so I can add the title and any banner image.  You could maybe use the same approach to exclude unnecessary images altogether?

Archived