Number of Separate Accounts on One Computer

BC66

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I can't find an answer anywhere. Please point me in the right direction if another forum is more appropriate. 

I have been using a Basic Evernote account (free account) for about 4 years. I just don't use it enough to need any more space or features. About a year ago my 12 year old son started needing a place to write, so I let him create some notes in my Evernote, but it's getting to be a bit of a mess for me to find my stuff and he his stuff. So, I'm wanting to create his own Basic Evernote Account on our computer. Is this possible? Can we have two separate Basic Accounts ( free accounts) for two different people, with different logins, on one pc?

Any info would be appreciated. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote is just like any other app - if you use a different login,  you'll create a separate account.  Are you using the installed desktop version,  or a browser account via Evernote.com?  (He will need his own email address.)

If you both use the same profile on your computer,  you might run into some problems - using the browser clipper might result in new notes being created in the wrong account.  If he logs into the computer using his own separate account,  you'll be fine.  Make sure you back up your database before you start adding accounts though,  just in case...

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557

That link will also help you if he has important notes to move into his account,  but beware that the upload limit for a Basic account is 60MB per month - if there are lots of notes that he wants,  you'd be better off sharing the notes with his account when he has one.

Awesome to hear and thank you for all the info. We use the desktop application and I back up on a regular basis, so we're good there, but that link will come in handy moving his notes. 

Thanks again!

• Level 5*

Beyond what @gazumped said, you can have multiple accounts on the same computer, in the same Windows logon. They can be open at the same time, in different Evernote instances, and the note databases (.exb files) are kept separate. For the web clipper, you'll have to make sure that the correct account is signed in when using it; you should be able to sign out and sign in as a different user, and the clipped notes will go to the correct account. Screen clipping and other operations that use global hotkeys will go to one account (not sure how this works), but you can perform the same operations for secondary logged-in accounts by right-clicking on the Evernote icon in the notification area and selecting the secondary account you wish to operate on. I haven't used this a lot (I tend to use shared notebooks between my two accounts), but it seems to work fine.

Archived