(Archived) Help! Non-synchronized notebook lost after Evernote update

lolmann

Idea

I recently updated Evernote to version 1.1. an a Mac.

In addition to my standard notebook which is synched to the cloud I had a notebook which was not synched. After the update it was gone.

Is there a way to find the data on my hard drive?

Is there a way to get it into evernote again?

Or is it lost?

10 replies to this idea

Can you check in the Trash on your client to see if the notes are in the Trash?

Otherwise, are you using any backups on your system? For example, Time Machine?

Do you recall what version of Evernote you had before you upgraded? If not, do you recall roughly how long it had been since your last update?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you check in the Trash on your client to see if the notes are in the Trash?

Yes, they are. There are more than 2000 notes in the Evernote/content folder in the Trash. If I get it right then the notebooks are all mixed in there. There is no distinction between the notes from the standard notebooks (which I have not lost) and the ones I'm missing.

I should add that the content of the notes I'm missing is encrypted using Evernote's text encryption feature.

Do you recall what version of Evernote you had before you upgraded? If not, do you recall roughly how long it had been since your last update?

I don't. I had not updated it in a couple of months, that's all I can say.

Ok, I'll try.

How do I get the notebook back into evernote? By putting them back in the content/ folder of the updated Evernote? Will Evernote recognize them as a seperate notebook or try to put them in the standard notebook?

In the Windows desktop, if you select the note(s) in the trash, right click & select restore, it goes back to the notebook it was in & the tag(s) restored. I don't know if the Mac functions in a similar fashion.

BTW, this may be a good time to start adding the Evernote database to your daily/weekly backup.

In the Windows desktop, if you select the note(s) in the trash, right click & select restore, it goes back to the notebook it was in & the tag(s) restored. I don't know if the Mac functions in a similar fashion.

The Mac equivalent is to select the item in the Trash, then File > Put Back, though it doesn't seem to work for programmatically trashed files.

The Mac equivalent is to select the item in the Trash, then File > Put Back, though it doesn't seem to work for programmatically trashed files.

Exactly. Neither the missing notebook nor the restored entry show up in Evernote.

Help?

If you see the missing Note in the Trash within Evernote, you can drag it out of the Trash onto the desired destination Notebook on the left side.

The missing notes are not in the Evernote trash but in the OSX trash. When I restore them (put them back into the library/application support/Evernote/data/[five digit number]/content/ they don't appear in Evernote.

As I said, the notes in question are encrypted using the Evernote text encryption tool.

If they weren't encrypted I could simply copy and paste the content into Evernote. We're only talking about a small number of notes (which are, nevertheless, important).

If the entire "Evernote" or "data" folder is available from before the notes were deleted, you'd be better off restoring a copy of that whole folder while Evernote is not running. Then disable networking and start Evernote to see the old version of your database. Then you could export those notes.

Archived