Evernote not syncing properly

I have a desktop, laptop, and laptop-tablet. They all have windows 10. My desktop and laptop synced perfectly fine. I wanted to switch evernote on my laptop to my laptop-tablet, since I can only have it active on 2 devices at a time.

So I installed it on my laptop-tablet and everything is fine so far. Logged in, pressed sync, but ONLY certain notes sync'd. This is where the issue happened

Yes, I uninstalled and reinstalled it, twice. Yes, I turned it off and on again. Yes, I logged out and back in. Yes, I made sure I was on the same account even though I only have one. Yes, the notes I want sync'd are on the online version of evernote - the only place it's not updating is on my laptop-tablet. My desktop and laptop updates/syncs fine. Yes, I made sure it was up to date, even though I just said I reinstalled it (with the latest version).

The issue is syncing with my laptop-tablet, so exporting & importing the notebooks from desktop to laptop-tablet doesn't solve the problem. Unless that's some weird way around it that the typical user wouldn't or shouldn't know. I just need my desktop and laptop-tablet to sync evernote together

I don't understand why it's not syncing. But here below I attached an image that might help. Also if you haven't noticed, I'm a student. So Fall / Spring indicate semesters.
Looking at the image I attached:

• Red (Fall 2017) - the notebook that was last Fall and nothing I need to worry about currently, since it's not being updated anymore.
  • Blue (Spring 18) - the notebook that I'm CURRENTLY using and is not being sync'd; as you can see, Spring 18 - AGEC 217 has 0 notes. It's supposed to have 12 notes. On my laptop-tablet, the 4 Spring 18 courses all have 0 notes. CNIT 480 is supposed to have 9, ENTR 310 is supposed to have 4, and MGMT 443 is supposed to have 14.
  • Green (Notebook Stack [2]) - This was just a test, clearly. I tried to replicate how the "Fall 2017 (12)" notebook was set up because I think that worked fine but I can't entirely remember since it was a semester ago. I tried to get that square icon w/ a down arrow on this notebook because that seems to be the only thing different (or at least obvious). I don't think I switched devices between laptop and laptop-tablet that semester.

If you look at Fall 2017 (12), there's a square icon with a down arrow. Does that mean it was downloaded? Exported? It's not sync because the sync icon is the 2 arrows in the form of a circle, as you can see at the top of the image. I don't recall ever downloading or exporting notes into Fall 2017 last semester. I think that icon could have something to do with this issue, depending on what it means. I have no idea where to find out what that icon means, I couldn't find anything on google and hovering over it does nothing.

All I want to be able to do is this:

• Sync working between devices, even if I switch devices.
  • Have a clean organization between Semesters. Fall 2017 notebook that has specific class notebooks within that, and all of that can be collapsed/hidden and expanded. Spring 2018 notebook that has specific class notebooks within that (AGEC 217, CNIT 480, ENTR 310, MGMT 443), and all of those can be collapsed/hidden and expanded. And same thing next semester, Fall 2018.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, thank you

evernote cap.JPG

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jaluvshuskies said:

I have no idea where to find out what that icon means, I couldn't find anything on google and hovering over it does nothing.

The icon means that that notebooks is your Default notebook: Tools / Options / General : "Default notebook"

• Level 5*

So I installed it on my laptop-tablet and everything is fine so far. Logged in, pressed sync, but ONLY certain notes sync'd. This is where the issue happened

Does your laptop/tablet show a sync error? I think that that's a red exclamation point over the Sync icon on the toolbar. Also, you can check the Evernote log to see if there were any errors while it was syncing: Help / Activity Log...

The issue is syncing with my laptop-tablet, so exporting & importing the notebooks from desktop to laptop-tablet doesn't solve the problem. Unless that's some weird way around it that the typical user wouldn't or shouldn't know. I just need my desktop and laptop-tablet to sync evernote together

All syncing is done via the Evernote servers (i.e., you never sync directly from one device to another; each device talks to the Evernote servers). Export / import notebooks would just create extra copies of notes in your system; not a great idea in general. 

46 minutes ago, jefito said:

Does your laptop/tablet show a sync error? I think that that's a red exclamation point over the Sync icon on the toolbar. Also, you can check the Evernote log to see if there were any errors while it was syncing: Help / Activity Log...

All syncing is done via the Evernote servers (i.e., you never sync directly from one device to another; each device talks to the Evernote servers). Export / import notebooks would just create extra copies of notes in your system; not a great idea in general. 

1. there is no red ! by the sync icon 

2. no errors in activity log

3. activity log said client is up to date, and sync finished

it's as if everything works fine or looks good, but the actual syncing doesn't happen.

23 minutes ago, CalS said:

What do you see when you log into the web version of EN?

When I checked when I made this post, it was the same as my Desktop, which is the most updated version that syncs properly.

I just checked now, and the web version is indeed the same as Desktop and updated. I attached an image

evernote web.JPG

• Level 5*

One thing I did, long ago, when I had an issue with notes not syncing was to force a sync by adding a temporary tag to all the notes on the "accurate" device.  Sync.  Sync on the other device.  See if the notes are now there.  If they are delete the temporary tag.

Simpler method might be to stop EN, and move the data base on the device with the missing notes and then start EN.  Only do this if you don't have any local notebooks.  This will force a rebuild of the data base on that device.  Shouldn't take long based upon the note counts in your screen shot.

Oooookay...so here's an update:

- friend helping me managed to pull the updated files for AGEC from desktop to the trash on my laptop-tablet, and then I moved them from trash to the AGEC folder (on laptop-tablet). However that doesn't solve the problem because that wasn't done through sync (I forget how he did it)

I then updated the version on my desktop (something so little that I overlooked), so that's most recent version. Laptop-tablet is also most recent version. Clicked sync on both, nothing updated on my laptop-tablet, but now I have double the notes in the AGEC folder on my desktop version.

What happened was when I synced, it synced my laptop-tablet to desktop, so I have double the files in AGEC folder (since I had them in both versions, but not through sync on laptop-tablet). But it didn't do it the other way around

TL;DR: Sync works from laptop-tablet to desktop, but not desktop to laptop-tablet. That certainly helps us in terms of figuring out the issue, but I have no idea how to fix it

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jaluvshuskies said:

TL;DR: Sync works from laptop-tablet to desktop, but not desktop to laptop-tablet. That certainly helps us in terms of figuring out the issue, but I have no idea how to fix it

All EN syncs are between the devices and EN servers.  The issue is the laptop-tablet sync.  So you could remove EN from that device and start over if you like.

• Level 5*
Just now, Jaluvshuskies said:

@CalS see this if you haven't ^ , it might change everything in terms of you or anyone else here helping me solve the issue

I'll look into what you just suggested, while you do that

Yeah, ships in the night with that one.  ;)

Just now, CalS said:

All EN syncs are between the devices and EN servers.  The issue is the laptop-tablet sync.  So you could remove EN from that device and start over if you like.

Well, thing is I had already uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I think even twice. Let me do it again right now, just in case

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jaluvshuskies said:

Well, thing is I had already uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I think even twice. Let me do it again right now, just in case

Be sure the data base is gone on the device as well.

21 minutes ago, CalS said:

Be sure the data base is gone on the device as well.

Do you know where I'd find that? I don't see Evernote in program files folder (I assume I don't see it there because I uninstalled it)

but it's also not in c/users/myname/appdata/local, I don't see any evernote folder

so I see an evernote folder in c/users/myname/appdata/locallow, but it's all empty

(I do have hidden files shown)

Sorry for the spam lol. I found it, idk why it didn't show up when I manually was looking for it, but it did with the file search

Do I delete ALL of this permanently? I attached an image. This filepath is c\users\myname\evernote\databases

(attachments folder is empty)

evernote databases.JPG

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jaluvshuskies said:

Do you know where I'd find that? I don't see Evernote in program files folder (I assume I don't see it there because I uninstalled it)

but it's also not in c/users/myname/appdata/local, I don't see any evernote folder

so I see an evernote folder in c/users/myname/appdata/locallow, but it's all empty

(I do have hidden files shown)

Go to Tools Options - General and you should see the location under Evernote local files.  Delete the file with an EXB extension in the Databases sub-folder and you should be good to go.

48 minutes ago, CalS said:

Go to Tools Options - General and you should see the location under Evernote local files.  Delete the file with an EXB extension in the Databases sub-folder and you should be good to go.,

All that worked, it's all fixed now! Thank you so much. Should be good from now on

Archived