Everything just disappeared! :(

Please help me.

I was just using Evernote on my mac, and midway through editing a note my whole Evernote just vanished. My shortcuts, my notebooks, my notes, everything.

I restarted Evernote. Exactly the same thing.

I rebooted my mac. Exactly the same thing.

All that is there is the one note I was working on when it happened.

I am starting to seriously panic here, as I have so much information in Evernote, I would not know where to begin in recreating it...some of it is not possible to recreate.

I've gone to my phone and the content still seems to be there on my app, but I cannot seem to get it back on my mac. I don't want to sync in case the cloud syncs with my mac and deletes everything. I've closed Evernote on my mac for the moment until this is resolved.

I urgently need to get my information back as I have used Evernote to capture information for my business, and pretty much everything in my life - please help me to fix this!!!

Many thanks,

Claire

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-03 at 12:48 AM, ClaireB said:

I don't want to sync in case the cloud syncs with my mac and deletes everything. I've closed Evernote on my mac for the moment until this is resolved.

You can delete the database on your Mac.  This will prevent corrupted data being uploaded to the servers

The first sync will rebuild the database from the servers.  Warning, Local Notebooks and unsync'd notes are not included in the rebuild

To identify the database folder, I use Option Key Help > Troubleshooting5a9d6bcef0243_ScreenShot2018-03-05at08_07_39.png.17e7913f79e90eed4d39fd047349fb8f.png

My database is located at /Users/david/Library/Application Support/ com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/ www.evernote.com/

(direct download version)

• Level 5*
On 3/3/2018 at 2:48 AM, ClaireB said:

I urgently need to get my information back as I have used Evernote to capture information for my business, and pretty much everything in my life - please help me to fix this!!!

OK.  Don't panic, and don't do anything drastic without carefully thinking it through.  Most likely you can recover your notes.

On 3/3/2018 at 2:48 AM, ClaireB said:

I've closed Evernote on my mac for the moment until this is resolved.

OK, that's a good idea.  Leave it closed for now.

It is good that your Notes are on your phone, but the real test you need to do is to confirm that your notes are still in the Evernote Cloud.  You can do that by opening the Evernote Web app in your Browser (on the Mac) at Evernote.com.  You will need to login.

If all of your Notes are there, then they are in the Evernote Cloud.  So, you can download them to any device.

Next you need to delete all of the data used by EN Mac, which is stored in:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

for the direct download version.  If you installed EN Mac from the Mac App Store then it will be in a different location.  I don't have the App Store version, but I believe it is in these folders, and you would need to delete both.

1. ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote
  2. ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper

The "~" is the Unix symbol for your Mac Home folder (the one with your User Name).  The easiest way to open these folders is to open the Finder app, press ⌘⇧G to open the "Go To" prompt, and paste in the above path.  Then press RETURN.

5a9d7cdad4592_2018-03-05_11-22-05(2).png.3eb484cd5212469131b980fa8608a5b9.png

Then press ⌘UpArrow to move up one folder.  This should result in the com.evernote.Evernote folder being selected:

2018-03-05_11-26-19.png.c3ca3501b523e3f1955908cd5a6286b5.png

Delete this folder.  Press ⌘⌫  (actually moves folder to Trash).

Since we don't know what caused your Notes to disappear, you may also want to delete the Evernote.app in your Applications folder, and download it from Evernote.com.

Now you should be ready to open EN Mac, which will cause all of your Notes to be downloaded from the EN Cloud.

If you have any questions or doubts about any of this, feel free to ask more questions.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived