(Archived) (Request) Continuos View

oxon

Idea

Hello,

I often write long logs for my physics experiments at a lab and separate them into some notes which are related each other. When I do the same thing using non-digital notebook and a pen, I can read the log continuously by flipping the pages of the non-digital notebook. But I cannot do it with Evernote. I have to chose a note and scroll down to the end, and then click the next note ... repeatedly.

I think it is very useful if I can read some notes continuously like non-digital notebooks. "Two pages view" as in Preview.app would be also great because most PC have wide displays.

9 replies to this idea

Thanks for reply. I did not know that there was a tape view mode in previous versions because I have been using Evernote since v3.5. I could not find the thread when I searched the forum.

The old thread is full with requests by long-term users and the developers might think that they should use older version. But the tape feature is also requested by a new user like me who does not know the fact that there was the tape view.

Therefore I think this is a must which is very useful for all users including newbies and veterans.

If the tape view will not be back, Evernote will not become better than paper forever.

So you write a long log then break it down into smaller notes and then want the notes one after another while scrolling? Why break the log down at all? Evernote can handle very large, long text notes.

If the tape view will not be back, Evernote will not become better than paper forever.

Well, a lot of people have their own idea of a particular feature that Evernote lacks & so will be the quick & impending demise of Evernote. OTOH, many of us keep using it & using it & using it.

>> chem242

If you write text in ONE long long note, you don't need to use Evernote. Textedit.app is good enough for you :lol:

I don't write usual diary with Evernote, but diary is a good example.

If you have tags; food, sport, school, TV, girl/boy friend in your diary, you might be interested in reading all notes written about your girl/boy friend when you want to look all attached pictures and comments on them. Do you want to write all things about her/him in only one note? Probably not.

If you don' remember the name of a restaurant which you went a year ago, you cannot search the notes. But if you can continuously read all the notes which have the foot tag, you will easily find the name from pictures, menus, or comments.

This is just an example, but nobody will disagree with me.

If you don' remember the name of a restaurant which you went a year ago, you cannot search the notes. But if you can continuously read all the notes which have the foot tag, you will easily find the name from pictures, menus, or comments.

I will disagree with you. If I can't remember the name of a restaurant I went to a year ago, I sure as heck don't want to have to look through pages & pages of notes. It will be in a note with a descriptive tag and/or title as well as other information and/or "keywords" in the note. An example is "Awesome Italian restaurant - went there in San Diego with Don & Sue - amazing gnocchi!" I can then do a quick search on restaurants with the words San Diego Don Sue & only a few notes will show up. I should be able to determine which one it is by the title (Jake's vs Avanti vs Green Flash) as well as the date created. AND...if I add the word 'gnocchi' to the search, probably only one note will show up. Sure beats looking through pages & pages of notes from last year.

>> chem242

If you write text in ONE long long note, you don't need to use Evernote. Textedit.app is good enough for you :lol:

How is a text file in TextEdit in anyway equatable to Evernote? No tagging, no syncing = no option.

If you have tags; food, sport, school, TV, girl/boy friend in your diary, you might be interested in reading all notes written about your girl/boy friend when you want to look all attached pictures and comments on them. Do you want to write all things about her/him in only one note? Probably not.

You lost me.

Maybe it is just me but I would use such a general tag such as "food" by itself. I would use "restaurant" at least, maybe even the name of the place. And I could always search by date to refine it down a bit. Reading though a continuous stream of notes based on a single, general tag is not what Evernote is about to me. It is about being able to refine my searches down so as to avoid time lost reading things that are not currently relevant to what I need.

Really? I disagree with you. Different types of notes have different needs. Different types of users have different needs. No one program can be everything to everybody. So either accept it for what it is and learn to work with it or find something that better suits your needs. You can always come back later to see what has changed. I stand behind Evernote 100% not because it does everything I want it to but because what it does it does superbly. Does that stop me from using Things for better to-do lists? No. Does that stop me from using MacJournal for journaling? No. I use Evernote for storing information that needs tagging and will later require easy search ability. /soapbox

That's is your case. And please remember that my post is just an example. Your idea does not work if you visited more than 100 restaurants which serve awesome gnocchi. Your comments are not directly related to my original post and I don't want to discuss them here.

Your idea does not work if you visited more than 100 restaurants which serve awesome gnocchi.

Aside from the fact if I'd visited 100 restaurants that served me awesome gnocchi, you'd have to roll me out the door, I'd probably not visited all 100 within a short time span, which is why the date created (or even entering a date in the note) and any other memorable info is helpful. As I said in my post.

Your comments are not directly related to my original post and I don't want to discuss them here.
If you don' remember the name of a restaurant which you went a year ago, you cannot search the notes. But if you can continuously read all the notes

Dude, you're the one who brought up the subject. So yes, my comments are directly related.

Archived