(Archived) Clipping from Firefox pastes plain text in Mac beta

In the current Mac build, selecting content on a web page in Safari and pasting it into a new note via the EN Clipper preserves the page text formatting (text attributes such as bold, italic, size, etc) and hyperlinks.

Performing the same step from Firefox creates a plain text note where all formatting and hyperlinks are lost.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi canyon and dylandamian, thanks for the reports. Looks like this is a problem with our paste-handling code that only manifests with Firefox. We'll investigate and add it to the list of known problems.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

apparently this issues has not been fixed yet. :(

i hate having to drag a tab to safari to get a clip in.

come on en development team, fix this or provide a workaround besides having to open safari.

im sure there is something on about:config that could allow a good clip n paste :)

Hmm,

It appears that FireFox does not support the native interchange formats for rich or image-enriched text on "OS X", which include RTF, RTFD, and WebArchive. These are the kinds that EverNote appears to require.

I don't know of any program on the Mac that can extract rich or image-enriched text from FireFox. In fact, I pried open the pasteboard and looked at the formatting after copying from FireFox, and it appears that it is encoding just the HTML corresponding to whatever you've selected. No images or other resources, and not a complete parsable page either. I knew I used Safari for a reason...

In summary (and those who are more knowledgeable, please correct me if I've erred), this looks like a weakness in FireFox. Perhaps there is a plug-in for FireFox that will support the OS X clipboard? I've seen discussions of further support for standard features of OS X in FireFox 3, but the support for clipping was only plaintext in beta 5.

There are definitely some issues with how Firefox interacts with standard OS X features like the clipboard. This makes it harder to do this right than Safari. On the other hand, over 40% of our Mac users are on Firefox, so we are interested in making this work more smoothly. We'll investigate our options and look forward to seeing what happens with FF3 when it is released.

Thanks

There are definitely some issues with how Firefox interacts with standard OS X features like the clipboard. This makes it harder to do this right than Safari. On the other hand, over 40% of our Mac users are on Firefox, so we are interested in making this work more smoothly. We'll investigate our options and look forward to seeing what happens with FF3 when it is released.

Thanks

please fix this asap... i love me my firefox :(

Archived