Restore from Time Machine

I have lost my local notebooks so need to restore from Time Machine.

I will have to restore from a point when I think the local notebooks were present. When I do this do I restore the entire database folder (with the numerical name) or just the Content subfolder?

Is the process the following?

1. Close EN
  2. Do restore from TM
  3. Open EN

Anything else?

After doing this my local EN will not have my most recent synced notes but I assume that doesn't matter as the next sync will take care of those?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DavidD said:

Anything else?

I would do the entire database folder "(with the numerical name)"
You want to get all the components; the note contents and the sql database

Yes, the next sync should bring your notes up to date

Asuming this works, and your local notebooks are restored
- It would be a good idea to backup  your local notebooks using Evernote's export feature

Note: Your original lost notebook issue started during the app upgrade
Are you reverting to an earlier app version, or will you be running the upgrade process again?

21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Note: Your original lost notebook issue started during the app upgrade
Are you reverting to an earlier app version, or will you be running the upgrade process again?

I'm on 6.13.1.

I'm not 100% sure when the local notebooks were lost as I haven't looked for them for the past week or so. There was an update a few days ago which may or may not have been the culprit. 

Does it matter that the database restore from TM will be from an earlier version - whatever came before 6.13.1?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, DavidD said:

Does it matter that the database restore from TM will be from an earlier version

I don't think so - the upgrade process will just run again

I have restored from TM. When I peruse the quicklook.png files in the database folder that have been restored, I can identify notes that were in a local folder in EN, yet they are not showing up in the desktop client.

???

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, DavidD said:

I have restored from TM. When I peruse the quicklook.png files in the database folder that have been restored, I can identify notes that were in a local folder in EN, yet they are not showing up in the desktop client.

Possibly separate the restore/upgrade/sync steps

Do the restore again, but also, downgrade the app version.

It worked. What I did this time is that I restored from TM and disconnected from the internet before restarting EN. 

Thank you DTLow for your help.

I have just exported my local notes in both enex and html format... 

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2017 at 2:13 AM, DTLow said:

Possibly separate the restore/upgrade/sync steps

Do the restore again, but also, downgrade the app version.

Hi,

I also have a restore of my local EN files and experiencing issues. The local folders are present in the file system, yet they are not showing up in the desktop client. Can you explain what you mean with downgrade?

Why you have to be offline during TM restore?

I another thread I found the hint to restore also the Evernote.app. I don't get the relation between the .app and the local files.

Is there something which prevents my local files to be showing up in the desktop client?

Archived