Evernote desktop will not execute/load on Windows 10

I've had an intermittent problem loading evernote for some time but today it finally bit the bullet.  I cant get the exe to run at all now.  I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled 4 times now and still cant get it to load.

The clipper works in chrome, and the tray icon will load but the program will not open for love nor money.

Please help!  

• Level 5*

Look at uninstalling via Revo Uninstaller, then reboot, then reinstall. There could be a file left over that is corrupt that is preventing it from launching and Revo does a pretty good job of removing everything related to a program.

Revo is what i used.  I was hoping it might magically right itself again today but no such luck.  I'm quite confused by this actually.  The only other thing i thought of was some kind of conflict with bitdefender but i'm not getting any alerts or messages in that.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, dahalb said:

Revo is what i used.  I was hoping it might magically right itself again today but no such luck.  I'm quite confused by this actually.  The only other thing i thought of was some kind of conflict with bitdefender but i'm not getting any alerts or messages in that.

1. Make sure you download Evernote from Evernote's site directly.
  2. temporarily disable all AV software when installing, and when launching.

Then turn the AV back on. I don't use BitDefender, but it might be interfering with EN. No way to tell without disabling it.

• Level 5*

Were you able to get Evernote to work? Older versions of BitDefender were quite challenging to get to play in the same sandbox as many programs - I don't recall if Evernote was one of them. It also seemed to shut down even if the program had been running previously. May be linked to one of the updates. I have not seen a problem recently, but I am running BitDefender Total Security 2017. EdH's suggestion is what I think I had to do. When you turn BD back on it seems to recognize EN as a 'friendly' program and lets it run.

So i uninstalled again with Revo. Rebooted. Downloaded the install file direct from Evernote and still the problem persists.  The software just wont load.  I got cranky and started clicking like crazy and i saw what looked like an attempt at a load (the top bar looked like it popped up for a micro-second) but it still wont load.  

Running BD TS 2017 same as you.  

Turned BD off and Just did the clicking thing again and now its sending an error report which is something at least - plus it opened for the first time since the reinstall which was actually yesterday :)  YAYA!!!!

Now all i have to do is not turn off the PC so i can use it.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, dahalb said:

So i uninstalled again with Revo. Rebooted. Downloaded the install file direct from Evernote and still the problem persists.  The software just wont load.  I got cranky and started clicking like crazy and i saw what looked like an attempt at a load (the top bar looked like it popped up for a micro-second) but it still wont load.  

Running BD TS 2017 same as you.  

Turned BD off and Just did the clicking thing again and now its sending an error report which is something at least - plus it opened for the first time since the reinstall which was actually yesterday :)  YAYA!!!!

Now all i have to do is not turn off the PC so i can use it.

So it does seem BitDefender is getting in the way. I'd contact BitDefender, or better yet, uninstall it. For Windows, all you need is Windows Defender. Tons of articles about this. Here is one. Steve Gibson has said the same multiple times over the last year or so on is Security Now podcast.

Archived