Why do cropped image scans take up more memory?

I often use Evernote and the camera on my iPhone to scan images and documents, and then in Evernote on my iMac I'll crop the document so I see just what I want. But when I do that the attachment seems to roughly double in size. So ... a smaller image, and a bigger file size. Why? And can I avoid that? It's not a huge problem, but a lot of my notes wind up taking double the memory they otherwise would, which surely doesn't help performance.

15 hours ago, ibrown said:

I often use Evernote and the camera on my iPhone to scan images and documents, and then in Evernote on my iMac I'll crop the document so I see just what I want. But when I do that the attachment seems to roughly double in size. So ... a smaller image, and a bigger file size. Why? And can I avoid that? It's not a huge problem, but a lot of my notes wind up taking double the memory they otherwise would, which surely doesn't help performance.

Hi @ibrown, thanks for reporting this. This is a known issue to our development team. There isn't a specific timeframe for when this will be resolved, however I can assure we're working on it.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can be of any further assistance.

OK, thanks. So I assume that at the moment there's nothing I can do about it, and there's nothing I can do differently, apart I guess from cropping images before importing (which would sort of defeat the purpose of the camera/scanner in the Evernote app).

Archived