(Archived) Feature suggestion: Expiration dates

It would be great if users could set an expiration date for their notes. Let me explain what I mean, I use evernote to keep track of my wife's work travel plans - flight numbers and times, hotels etc. There are useful while she is away, but once she's home, they are useless. But, they clutter search results. It would be great if I could set an expiration date for the note and it would be deleted after a certain date.

Andy

• Level 5*

Possible workaround: use a tag that helps you to identify these time-limited items. How about '@Temp'? Every so often, just filter on this tag, and delete the notes that are no longer relevant.

I do something similar with to-do items. I tag them with '@Todo', along with the other tags that I would naturally apply, then when I've done what the item needs, I just remove the '@Todo' tag.

~Jeff

I use evernote to keep track of my wife's work travel plans - flight numbers and times, hotels etc. There are useful while she is away, but once she's home, they are useless.

I do the same thing with my husband's travel plans. I include the date of the trip in the title (IE, DH's itinerary 6/1/10), so it's easy to delete the outdated ones and/or find the current one.

• Level 5

If it applies to flight details from the past or completed tasks, you could move it to a different folder of past activities.

I very seldom delete info from Evernote. Yes, I have always been a paper pack-rat. Evernote, ScanSnap and Neat-Receipts have helped immensely in knocking down the piles of paper in my home.

I moved to England for a couple years and had to account for my whereabouts to both tax authorities in the USA and the UK. The flight details were very helpful in confirming where I was (and how many days I was in each location).

The past data is helpful for a variety of other reasons. For example, do you have old photos of a trip and can't remember the dates or locations. I usually can recreate the details by searching Evernote. I've loaded 40+ years of stuff that has cluttered up my home into Evernote.

Other family stuff is great for one of my hobbies - genealogy. Two of my sons are in the military and move constantly. Every time they give me a new address, I email it to my Evernote.

To get around the lack of an expiration date, I will change the DATE CREATED to the actual date - weddings, proms, vacations, etc. So the thousands of entries are all sorted in a correct time-line.

Archived