(Archived) Desktop client: is there a way NOT to download my notes?

I like the auto upload capabilities of the Windows desktop client.

I use this to upload all files in my "My Documents" folder.

However, when I launch my desktop client, it also downloads all of my notes, which means it duplicates everything in my "My Documents" folder.

Is there a way to disable this?

If not, is there a program that monitors a designated folder and only uploads files to Evernote?

Thanks!

- Bruce

I'm not sure why you're uploading everything in your My Documents folder.

If it is to make a cloud-based backup, there are other (backup specific) options than Evernote that might be better for you.

If you don't download it locally to an Evernote application you lose a lot of the functionality and benefit of using EN in the first place.

If you give us more detail in what you are trying to achieve we might be able to come up with a few ideas.

Sure. I use Evernote as my personal search engine. I find it to be the best way to search through all of my documents, notes, images, etc. For this purpose, the Web interface works just fine for me. Does this make sense? When I say "My Documents" folder, I literally mean documents. I do not synchronize media files.

Hope this helps,

- Bruce

I find it to be the best way to search through all of my documents, notes, images, etc. For this purpose, the Web interface works just fine for me. Does this make sense? When I say "My Documents" folder, I literally mean documents. I do not synchronize media files.

To clarify, images are not documents. :)

Also, if you have a note that says "red pink blue" & load it into EN, then you change the one on your hard drive (not the one in the EN database) to be "red pink blue purple", that EN will not find this note when you look for 'purple', right? EN does not "sync" files in the traditional sense of the word. However, if you then drag the newly modified note into EN (or import it), you will end up with two notes. The "red pink blue" one and the "red pink blue purple" one.

Generally speaking, if you're going to import documents into EN, it's best to either delete the original from your hard drive or make it a point to not edit the one on the hard drive, but rather edit the one contained in Evernote. Otherwise you can end up with various versions of the same document.

Thank you for the explanation of how the folder uploader works.

Maybe I need to re-think my strategy around using Evernote as my online filing cabinet.

I'm still struggling to find a storage solution that will let me search through my 1) correspondence, 2) documents, and 3) information snippets, all from a single interface. I was hoping I could use Evernote for 2 & 3, but maybe not.

Thanks,

- Bruce

Archived