Syncing is rubbush

So I use evernote on Chrome through the evernote website on my mac and on my iphone through the app. I would expect notes to sync like the simple apple notes app does in real time accurately everytime. Instead you get conflict error messages all the time! Basic stuff evernote. or have I got it wrong?

Cheers

• Level 5*

With EN you just have to be sure that you sync when you enter/exit a platform.  In your case focus on the phone.  Any changes to the web are real time.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, mugtree said:

So I open app and push down to sync. Then write something, then sync again, then close?

Yes, that is the surest way to avoid conflicts.  

Definitely swipe down when you enter EN to pick up any web changes you have made.  On the iPhone side, the note will sync automatically after editing when you exit the note by Done or Back (you can watch the little green triangle with an up arrow in it disappear).   Swiping down forces it in any case.  You don't have to close necessarily, I typically do, but not required.

IMG_0265.thumb.PNG.72a1dd8d599fc898f31d0334e9c7fb0b.PNG

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, csihilling said:

With EN you just have to be sure that you sync when you enter/exit a platform.  In your case focus on the phone.  Any changes to the web are real time.

I thought changes made via mobile apps are real-time? As far as I know, only the desktop apps are not real-time, unless "instant sync" is enabled (recent update to Windows app, not sure if it exists yet on Mac).

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, tavor said:

I thought changes made via mobile apps are real-time? As far as I know, only the desktop apps are not real-time, unless "instant sync" is enabled (recent update to Windows app, not sure if it exists yet on Mac).

Nothing is 100% real time other than the web.  There is a slight lag on mobile or using instant sync which means you are "kind of" protected with syncing changes up, but not fully.  If you make a change on any platform and then immediately make a change to the same note on another platform you may cause a conflict.  Syncing on exit or prior to using the other platform gives you belts and suspenders.

Not so protected syncing recent changes down to another platform.  This is where it is easiest to cause a problem  IMO.  Therefore to avoid conflicts it is best to be sure and sync when you enter a platform.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not so protected syncing recent changes down to another platform.  This is where it is easiest to cause a problem  IMO.  Therefore to avoid conflicts it is best to be sure and sync when you enter a platform.  FWIW.

Right, that's where I figure most conflicts stem from (assuming instant sync is enabled on desktop app). I.e., EN's server gets changes instantaneously, or close enough (unless you are immediately switching platforms and editing the same note). But the platform may not get updates from the server quickly enough, unless, as you suggest, you force the sync.

Archived