Some question about the two factor authentication, and a question regarding google signin

mbms

I tried the two factor authentication with Google Authenticator. And was not successful - when entering the code I kept receiving the message that the code is wrong. I opted out of the Google Authenticator option again. Today I wanted to login in Evernote Web, got a code via SMS, and again the message about a wrong code. The second try with a second SMS worked.

Now I received an email that it is advised to give Evernote a backup phone number for the case I lose my phone... But, there is no second phone but my landline which cannot receive codes via SMS.  What should I do?

I wonder, if I choose the signin via Google, which worked well for me with two factor authentication during the last years, and use a 100 random characters long password for Evernote, wouldn't that be almost the same security level as the two factors?  (assumed that 100 character long passwords are ok for Evernote)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry for the delay in replying - we're not Evernote as such here,  just a (mostly) user-supported forum.  You might contact support directly at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

I don't know the maximum password length at Evernote,  but a long complicated one is (obviously) better than a short simple one.  Two-factor should work though - I'd suggest you talk to support to find out why you were having issues.

Thanks for the hint. Yes, I am a premium subscriber for some years already. And never realized in the past that they offer the two factor authentication.

In their helpfiles they write:

"[..] If you still see an error message after trying again, please ensure that the time is set accurately on your mobile device. Since authentication codes are time-sensitive, the time on your mobile device must be accurate for your authentication codes to be accepted by the Evernote service. We recommend you set your phone to update the time automatically. "

I decided that this feature must be a little bit buggy in evernote, as the same authenticator app also works well with all other services that provide this feature - without trying it again and again. If this is really a time synching problem, the other services such as Google or Lastpass should have a problem, too. But I never experienced that with them.

Anyway, currently I am receiving the codes by sms and it works well, unless I intend to travel. Abroad I usually buy a local SIM card, but that is not on my schedule for this year.

Archived