Stopping automatic indentions

How do I return to lines of text that align all the way to the left?

I'm entering text in a note in an outline format. After each line, I hit Tab once and begin the next line to the right of the start of the line above.

When I am ready for a new entry and wish to have the first line of text start back all the way to the left, I have been able to do this by hitting Return and then Backspace a few times. This has always put me to the left and I could continue adding lines in my outline format.

Then today, that action has stopped working. Trying to start a new section below an outlined section is not possible with what I have tried. Hitting Enter at the end of the previous line of text will move the cursor down one line at the same indent as the line directly above it. Hitting the Backspace key only moves the cursor directly back up without moving it to the left so I can start a new section. 

I have tried every option in the drop down menus and all the icons. I can't find the trick to get it working again like it's always done before.

Any ideas on how this happened? More importantly, do you know what steps I can take to restore the functionality I mentioned?

Thanks for the feedback.

Kev

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, thefonebug said:

How do I return to lines of text that align all the way to the left?

You can get a more specific answere if you indicate your platform

I find that hitting enter twice gets you out of the list
On my Mac, I have left/rignt indention icons

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

You can get a more specific answere if you indicate your platform

I find that hitting enter twice gets you out of the list
On my Mac, I have left/rignt indention icons

@DTLow where did you get the left/right indention icons?

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On my Mac, I use tab and shift-tab

@DTLow, yesterday I was trying to indent todos and found that tab and shift-tab do not work for todos. They work fine for bulleted and numbered lists. I was able to successfully indent by using the menu command Format>Lists>Increase List Level. I would prefer a keyboard shortcut, and I assume the shortcut icon to the right of Level is Tab. I tried to find other shortcuts for indent, but they didn't work either. Can you duplicate my findings? If so, any suggestions?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jim.g said:

yesterday I was trying to indent todos and found that tab and shift-tab do not work for todos

Got it - checkboxes

Evernote doesn't treat them as an indent item; just another character
I can move them by adding or deleting spaces

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

Got it - checkboxes

Evernote doesn't treat them as an indent item; just another character
I can move them by adding or deleting spaces

21 hours ago, jim.g said:

@DTLow, yes, checkboxes. Like I said, the menu command works, so I'll stick with that. Thanks.

@DTLow, I found the keyboard shortcuts for increase/decrease indent levels: ⇧ ⌘ ] and ⇧ ⌘ [. These appear to be universal.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, jim.g said:

I found the keyboard shortcuts for increase/decrease indent levels: ⇧ ⌘ ] and ⇧ ⌘ [. These appear to be universal.

Thanks
As you said, it's universal - works well with text
This helps with a problem that Evernote doesn't really use a tab concept in editing

Archived