How do I stop Evernote app for MacOS from automatically opening?

MrUlster

I have both Evernote web clipper for Chrome browser as well as Evernote app for MacOS installed on my computer. I wish to keep both, but I cannot figure out how to remove the application association that opens Evernote app for every single note that I clip via the web clipper. This is super annoying. Any advice welcomed.

Thanks @gazumped but that doesn't address my issue, which isn't how to prevent Evernote from opening upon MacOS start up/restart, but from opening whenever I clip a new note via the Chrome browser extension.

• Level 5*

Sorry about that - the new clipper releases have been ... interesting ... so far...  This is the Chrome release thread - 

But I don't see the issue you're experiencing (yet).  Just to check - we're talking about Evernote the app opening up on your system,  not the Clipper help page in the browser?

Thanks @gazumped Mine is a classic MacOS file association issue -- if you open this file extension then open that application. I know how to remove this for ordinary file extensions and applications (e.g. .jpg opening Preview), but I haven't found a way of removing all Evernote clips from opening Evernote MacOS application. I set it to do so with the first clip (a MacOS system dialogue box asked me to make the file extension-application assignment), but now I'm stuck with this annoyance. I tried to delete and reinstall the Evernote MacOS app, but that did not work (next clip promptly opened the reinstalled app). 

• 1 year later...

Evernote seems completely incompetent to solve the problem. Install web-clipper and it will haunt you every time for the next 100 years. The problem is going on for 5 years. Remove your cookies and Evernote manages to start up with the "quick start" page. Reopen the browser after a certain time and it starts again. Not just of Safari but on any browser.

Don't believe the ***** you are reading that you need to get into your settings and than remove "start up" items becuase they are simply not there and the startup item has noting to do with your browser but with the Evernote App. The same is valid for the preferences in the app from which evernote claims that you have to untick the startup box. The problem has to do with the webclipper and it is as rigged as any malware program.

Consider dumping Evernote. 

Archived