(Archived) sort numerically

Ok, this one should be a no-brainer. But without the ability to have a custom sort order where I cam move "10" to to the end of a list after "9" we really need the lists to sort aplha-numerically. E.g. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 11 and not 1,10 11,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Come on guys, this is comp sci 101. It's quite a hindrance to have notes with contexts that we can't view them by. The other thing that would help, but that you keep ignoring my requests for. Not even a note replying whether it may useful for others is having grouping notes within note books. Look at any other filing system and you'll see that only two levels of hierarchy is nowhere near enough.

Thanks

Ok, this one should be a no-brainer. But without the ability to have a custom sort order where I cam move "10" to to the end of a list after "9" we really need the lists to sort aplha-numerically. E.g. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 11 and not 1,10 11,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Come on guys, this is comp sci 101.

Actually, no it's not computer science 101. One of the first things you learn is when sorting alphanumerically, that you get 1,10 11,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 because an alphanumeric search starts with the first character. The value of an alphanumeric "1" is lower than the alphanumeric "2", so anything that begins with "1" comes before anything beginning with "2". If you want to sort alphanumerically, you're going to need to determine the largest number you'll want to use. If you select 9999, you'll need to number 0001, 0002, 0003, etc.

And you can group notes within notebooks with tags. When doing a search, you would specify the notebook & the tag. You can then save this as a saved search, if it's a search you do often.

• Level 5*
It's quite a hindrance to have notes with contexts that we can't view them by. The other thing that would help, but that you keep ignoring my requests for. Not even a note replying whether it may useful for others is having grouping notes within note books. Look at any other filing system and you'll see that only two levels of hierarchy is nowhere near enough.

I can't make heads or tails of you're asking for here or how it relates to your sorting problem, but the implication is that you've made requests before. However this is your first forum post. Did you post previously under another name?

~Jeff

You can sort numerically using columns that are purely numeric values. For example, if you show the List view in either desktop client, you can sort on the Size of a note, and this will sort numerically, not lexically.

For free-text fields like "Title", we sort lexically rather than numerically because the content of this field is not constrained to numeric values.

Archived