How to save/apply settings

I just switched to Windows from Mac.  It took a while to find where to make customizations to create the look and feel that I like.  But I can't seem to get the settings to be permanent.  For example, I like Card View and have the cards sorted in reverse chronological order by date created.  But after sleep I open up Evernote and some things change, seemingly randomly.

How can I set up Evernote the way I like it and that's the way it consistently appears with no changes? 

• Level 5*

To save your default view, get it the way you want and then File - Exit EN.  When you restart the settings should be saved.  To save the settings for a specific notebook, tag or search use the drop down from the view menu.  Welcome to the dark side.  ;)

Image.png

THANK YOU!!  But there is one thing you assumed that I want to make explicit so that other people who find this will get to the solution right away.

You refer to "specific notebook".  I wondered what you meant and then it dawned on me, you have to pick a notebook first.  All this time I was viewing "All Notebooks" (sorry, I don't know how to paste the screen grab I just took).  When I clicked the dropdown menu you've pointed to, I didn't see the item at the bottom "Always use for Notebook 'Scans'".  

So I changed "All Notebooks" to "Main Notebook" (which is my only notebook!) and then at the bottom it said, "Always use for Notebook 'Main Notebook'".  I clicked "Card View" and Sort Notes By "Created", then I clicked "Always use..."  I did a File/Exit, then reopened -- SUCCESS!!

Looks like Evernote wants to give you the ability to have different settings for different notebooks.  Great -- but they don't let you have a global setting either.  That's confusing.

Thanks again for the great tip.  I looked at similar thread that was five years old and one of the last entries (just a day or so ago) told you how to make the change via Regedit.  Crazy...

Dear Evernote:  It shouldn't be this confusing.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, emmgee said:

THANK YOU!!  But there is one thing you assumed that I want to make explicit so that other people who find this will get to the solution right away.

You refer to "specific notebook".  I wondered what you meant and then it dawned on me, you have to pick a notebook first.  All this time I was viewing "All Notebooks" (sorry, I don't know how to paste the screen grab I just took).  When I clicked the dropdown menu you've pointed to, I didn't see the item at the bottom "Always use for Notebook 'Scans'".  

So I changed "All Notebooks" to "Main Notebook" (which is my only notebook!) and then at the bottom it said, "Always use for Notebook 'Main Notebook'".  I clicked "Card View" and Sort Notes By "Created", then I clicked "Always use..."  I did a File/Exit, then reopened -- SUCCESS!!

Looks like Evernote wants to give you the ability to have different settings for different notebooks.  Great -- but they don't let you have a global setting either.  That's confusing.

Thanks again for the great tip.  I looked at similar thread that was five years old and one of the last entries (just a day or so ago) told you how to make the change via Regedit.  Crazy...

Dear Evernote:  It shouldn't be this confusing.

You are welcome.  Yeah, the default view format is used in any view (notebook, tag or saved search) that doesn't have a saved view, so a default by default so to speak.  So any time you want to change the default layout you have to File - Exit to set the default.  You don't have to File - Exit if you use the "Always use..." option.  

Archived