Changes to note body not reliably syncing

I'm having a weird problem with Evernote. I'm a Premium member and have contacted support, but while I'm waiting for them I thought I'd ask if anyone else has encountered this.

On occasion changes I make to the body of a note using the Evernote Windows client don't sync to my iPhone and/or iPad. It's not that notes themselves are failing to sync -- it only happens (AFAIK) to notes that were already synced on all three platforms (I've checked). But every once in a while, when I make changes to the body, those changes don't sync to the iOS client. What's even stranger (IMO) is that from what I've seen when this happens, the changes will sync to one of the iOS devices but not the other.

I'm using Evernote for Windows on a Windows 10 PC and also a Windows 7 laptop, plus Evernote for iOS on an iPad and an iPhone 7 Plus, both of which are running iOS 10.1.1 (or whatever the latest version of iOS is -- I just updated both today).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there a known workaround? Again, I've contacted support but my experiences with them have been mixed. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

I'm having a weird problem with Evernote. I'm a Premium member and have contacted support, but while I'm waiting for them I thought I'd ask if anyone else has encountered this.

On occasion changes I make to the body of a note using the Evernote Windows client don't sync to my iPhone and/or iPad. It's not that notes themselves are failing to sync -- it only happens (AFAIK) to notes that were already synced on all three platforms (I've checked). But every once in a while, when I make changes to the body, those changes don't sync to the iOS client. What's even stranger (IMO) is that from what I've seen when this happens, the changes will sync to one of the iOS devices but not the other.

I'm using Evernote for Windows on a Windows 10 PC and also a Windows 7 laptop, plus Evernote for iOS on an iPad and an iPhone 7 Plus, both of which are running iOS 10.1.1 (or whatever the latest version of iOS is -- I just updated both today).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there a known workaround? Again, I've contacted support but my experiences with them have been mixed. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

There's actually 4 sync platforms

Windows <> Server   Server <> iPad     Server <> iPhone

You might check your notes on the server (www.evernote.com) to identify which sync process is failing

Also, a note database is not maintained on the mobile devices (exception for offline notebooks)

- when viewing a note, it is retrieved from the server (exception for remnants in cache)

Yeah, I forgot to mention: every time this has happened (and again it's an intermittent problem) I've checked Evernote web as I realize that is the server. In every case, the changes are reflected on Evernote Web. So there does not appear to be a problem with changes propagating from the Windows client to the server. The problem seems to be with having those changes reliably sync to the iOS clients.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

Yeah, I forgot to mention: every time this has happened (and again it's an intermittent problem) I've checked Evernote web as I realize that is the server. In every case, the changes are reflected on Evernote Web. So there does not appear to be a problem with changes propagating from the Windows client to the server. The problem seems to be with having those changes reliably sync to the iOS clients.

You might try clearing your cache    Settings > Support > Clear Cache

You shouldn't have to do this, but it will force the device to retrieve the updated note

Thanks, DTLow. I didn't know that was an option and it wasn't something support suggested. I'll try it the next time this issue crops up.

The interesting (and frustrating) thing is that the note this happened to most recently is one I edited again on the Windows client (it's a note about an ongoing issue at work and I need to keep it current). When I *added* to it, the changes didn't sync properly to iOS (although they synced to the server just fine). But when I deleted the contents of the body of the note afterward, that change *did* sync to iOS.

Just weird. And frustrating, because I use Evernote for critical work stuff and syncing should be the one thing Evernote does reliably. I hope I can find a solution or at a bare minimum a workaround.

Again, thanks for the suggestion DTLow.

Archived