Allow default setting for new Notebook to be private or shared

itburns

Idea

On Evernote for Mac allowing a setting to set new Notebooks to either Private or Share or choose option, would save needing to do this every time. I prefer to have all my notebooks private & I'm sure others would prefer all shared & I'm guessing it's mostly one or the other. After all, they can be changed at anytime if needed.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Are you referring to local vs synced notebooks?  If you're mainly using local,  do bear in mind that the data you hold exists on your computer only.  Backups are essential. 

Synced notebooks mean that your data is stored on Evernote's servers and is available anywhere you can get access to the internet,  which is already the default and Evernote's main attraction for a lot of folks...

Thx for the reply. When I open a synced notebook, it presents the option of choosing between "Private" or "Shared" - as you can change this later at anytime, why not allow it to default to one or the other rather than asking to select every time? It seems a wasted & annoying keystroke to me or am I missing something (I'm a newbie to EN ((which I'm loving!!)))

yes i would also like to make this a default option.

also- its not referring to local vs synced notebooks, right? when you choose private, its still on the cloud, just not shared with any people. right?

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, danklim said:

when you choose private, its still on the cloud, just not shared with any people. right?

Actually that's a very good question and I'm not sure - I use Windows,  and the notebook option is between local or synced - hence my first reply in this thread.  The easy way to check is simply to set up your next notebook as 'private',  add at least one note,  and then sync your system.  Go to Evernote.com and sign in to your account there. If you can see your latest note,  then the notebook is (obviously) synced.  If you can't see that note,  wait for someone else to respond to this thread!

It seems insane to me that there isn't a default setting for this! I've just been trying to organise my Evernote a little more and creating more notebooks. Every time I can create a new notebook with a keyboard shortcut and name it, but instead of being able to just hit return and have the notebook created, I have to scroll over and click one of these things (or tab down and mess around). Either way it seems ridiculous and I'm reminded of why I seldom use Evernote. Poor user interface stuff just drives me nuts.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 21.36.36.png

Archived