(Archived) Evernote Premium vs. Evernote Business

Hello all,

Am checking out the EN Business HD video to get a feel for what it can offer.

Would anyone have a checkbox feature comparison between the Premium and Business versions?

thanks,

MIke

• Level 5*

Hello all,

Am checking out the EN Business HD video to get a feel for what it can offer.

Would anyone have a checkbox feature comparison between the Premium and Business versions?

thanks,

MIke

Hi. It is actually not clear, is it? I have a page that might give you some idea of the differences (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169), and Evernote staff have weighed in with their own views as well. Here are links to some of these.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32373-its-not-clear-what-the-advantages-are-over-premium/?p=175892

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32373-its-not-clear-what-the-advantages-are-over-premium/?p=175613

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32373-its-not-clear-what-the-advantages-are-over-premium/?p=175052

You lose two huge features with business that even free accounts have:

1. Noteback stacks can't be shared across teams.  In other words, if you have a stack with 7 notebooks, and you share those 7 notebooks, other users just get 7 notebooks.  Not only that, they can't even tell that on your end they belong to a stack.

2. Tags can't be nested either to my knowledge.  So you just end up with a huge list of tags.

Thanks a lot for that ZZZ - our internal process here relies heavily on BOTH of those features.

1) Our nested notebooks reflect the production chain, as notes move from one "stage" to the next...I suppose people can still find things, but not ideal.

2) We've recently added tags for a group of individuals numbering about 50, so that means overall, we're hitting around a 100 tags (and growing). Not very useful to have those all in one crazy list...

best,

Mike

You lose two huge features with business that even free accounts have:

1. Noteback stacks can't be shared across teams.  In other words, if you have a stack with 7 notebooks, and you share those 7 notebooks, other users just get 7 notebooks.  Not only that, they can't even tell that on your end they belong to a stack.

2. Tags can't be nested either to my knowledge.  So you just end up with a huge list of tags.

Not sure about nested tags but there are notebook stacks in the Business version. Look at this video at around minute 4:

Not sure about nested tags but there are notebook stacks in the Business version. Look at this video at around minute 4:

Stacks cannot be shared.  Watch that video closely, first he creates a stack, then he shares notebooks.  That stack that you see him creating can ONLY be seen by him!  So everyone can have stacks, but no one can see each others stacks!  So if admins try to create a nice clean business structure with a stack, no one else can see the stacks!

That video is very misleading.  He claims in the video that every employee has "3 stacks" or something like that.  He omits the rather major detail that the only way that is possible is if you logged in as every single employee and created those stacks for each of them, or every employee is manually creating them themselves.

Here is another user reporting on the same issue if you have any doubts, since if I was reading what I'm telling you here, I'd have a hard time believing it too.  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38397-throwing-in-the-towel/  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34795-nesting-too-limited-for-our-business-use/

p.s. My exclamation points aren't meant to be "yelling" at you, rather to point out what I see as the insanity of it.

• Level 5*

No there aren't, not if you read what I said, which is that stacks cannot be shared.  Watch that video closely, first he creates a stack, then he shares notebooks.  That stack that you see him creating can ONLY be seen by him!  So everyone can have stacks, but no one can see each others stacks!  So if admins try to create a nice clean business structure with a stack, no one else can see the stacks!

p.s. My exclamation points aren't meant to be "yelling" at you, rather to point out what I see as the insanity of it.

Indeed, and the stacks cannot even be seen by you sometimes, as iOS will shift stuff around in mixed personal/business stacks. I think the solution is rather simple. Just name the notebooks in a way that makes their relationship to one another apparent.

01 shipping invoices

02 shipping customs

03 shipping tax

or

shipping-invoices

shipping-customs

shipping-taxes

You've essentially created three notebooks (invoices, customs, and taxes) within a "stack" called shipping. If you want to make "sub notebooks," then add another word.

Yes, I know it isn't the same, and obviously sharing stacks would be a lot easier :) However, this is a system that has stood the test of time with people for notebooks and tags.

Those are well known options.  And there are many reasons some of us don't find that to be an acceptable solution for business teams.  Just because one individual or team can use that method, doesn't mean they will work for other teams.

• Level 5*

Those are well known options.  And there are many reasons some of us don't find that to be an acceptable solution for business teams.  Just because one individual or team can use that method, doesn't mean they will work for other teams.

True. It won't work for everyone's use case. But, if/until we get the ability to share stacks, that's the best workaround I've got. It has worked for me in the past, but if it doesn't work for the OP, and no one has other suggestions, then Business may not be appropriate for their needs.

Thanks for the discussion points guys.

Over the next few weeks, I have to try and justify the continuing use of Evernote internally between our team in Paris and an outsource team in India (= security risk).

It was the only fast solution we could put in place so we could share files and create a mini-publication chain. Each notebook represents a stage and the notes move from one to the next. Every note is heavily tagged too, so I have a lot of flexibilty in sorting notes by a range of criteria. As I understand it, BOTH these critical flexibilities would be lost if our company chose to go ENote Business.

I presume the powers-that-be would prefer we switch to MS Project, so I have to make a comparison between the two - knowing nothing about Project...should be interesting :-)

Comments/further advice most welcome as above,

Mike

I presume the powers-that-be would prefer we switch to MS Project, so I have to make a comparison between the two - knowing nothing about Project...should be interesting :-)

I have to say, I can't imagine a more unusual/extreme set of options than those two, they aren't even in the same universe.  IF EN for Business doesn't work for you, but is close to what you want/need/like working with, there are IMO hundreds of solutions more appropriate than jumping to Microsoft Project, which is a pretty hard core/geeky project management tool that without major Sharepoint integration, is very weak on information sharing.  Don't get me wrong, Project absolutely has it's uses (gantt charts, resource leveling, dependencies, master schedule), I just can't imagine it doing anything but making you want to pull your hair out if EN is along the lines of what you like.

Archived