(Archived) HELP: Menu bar icon keeps vanishing

Fiercehairdo

Idea

The Evernote icon in the menu bar keeps disappearing when I quit evernote. Previously it would remain allowing me to quickly create notes without Evernote open. How do I fix this please?? it is the most convenient way to make notes.

On OSX 10.6.8.

Evernote 3.0.6

12 replies to this idea

I have a similar issue in that the elephant doesn't appear until I manually launch Evernote.app.

In 3.0.7b3:

I have these Preferences checked:

--Keep Evernote Helper running in the background

--Show Elephant in menu bar

--Start the Evernote helper when I log into my computer.

And yet, the Elephant is not shown in the menu bar until I manually launch the main Evernote application.

• Level 5*

I've got the same problem, and I've had it for a while now, despite reinstalling, etc. Same with both the App Store release as well as the Beta release.

Hi. Welcome to the user forums. It's great to have you here. I think you are talking about the helper icon, and if you go to your Evernote preferences and check the box next to "Keep Evernote helper running in the background when I quit Evernote" this might solve your problem. If not, I'd recommend contacting customer support (see my signature).

I've got the same problem, and I've had it for a while now, despite reinstalling, etc. Same with both the App Store release as well as the Beta release.

Hi. Welcome to the user forums. It's great to have you here. I think you are talking about the helper icon, and if you go to your Evernote preferences and check the box next to "Keep Evernote helper running in the background when I quit Evernote" this might solve your problem. If not, I'd recommend contacting customer support (see my signature).

Thanks. Like the guys before me, I've had this option checked since forever. Some distant version release caused it to stop opening up the helper icon on login. I'll see what Customer Support says.

• Level 5*

Thanks. Like the guys before me, I've had this option checked since forever. Some distant version release caused it to stop opening up the helper icon on login. I'll see what Customer Support says.

Let us know what they say :)

I would also highly recommend that both of you upgrade to the latest version of Evernote.

http://discussion.ev...te-320-release/

I did, and this did not help me. I still have no helper icon - EVEN WHEN EVERNOTE IS OPEN. It never appears.

I put in a support request as well, and will update.

suggestions?

Same. I'm on 3.2 Beta 2. Also tried the standard release, as well as the App Store release. Same problem with all of them.

Let us know what they say :)

This is what they told me:

We believe that the latest Mac pre-release version may address the issue that you reported. Please perform the following steps:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar
  2. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash
  3. Reboot your Mac
  4. Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:
    http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseMac
  5. When you open our download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.
  6. Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.
  7. Open Evernote, click 'Help > Check for updates' to ensure you have the newest version of the beta client.

Let us know how this works for you.

Didn't help at all.

Got new instructions that DID work. The difference is using their recommended AppTrap to completely delete all files associated with Evernote:

We would like to have you completely delete all traces of Evernote and then try to install again. First verify that all your notes have synced.

If you have unsynced or local only notes you will need to export these and back them up in another location prior to uninstalling Evernote in this manner. Failure to back up local only or unsynced notes will result in the loss of these notes. Once ready, please download and use the following program to uninstall Evernote:

Reboot your computer. Once you’ve rebooted, Simply drag the Evernote application to the Mac Trash and AppTrap will detect that you are uninstalling and remove all the correct files.

Reboot your computer.

Then, download and install the latest version of the Mac client:

When you open our installer, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.

Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

There's some problem in the newer EverNote binaries for Mac Os X at least the 32 bits Snow Leopard versions that fails to link the Evernote Helper app into the startup menu folder.

So here's what you can do until this is fixed:

Right click On the Evernote App, so it shows "Show Packages", then go into the folder /Contents/Library/LoginItems/EvernoteHelper.app

There's the EvernoteHelper app, if you click on it, it will open as it should.

Now let's make this happen every time our mac startup:

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Startup items (or similar name, I am on a Portuguese Mac OS X version), there you just drag and drop the EvernoteHelper.app previously found.

Done!

Archived