Evernote freezes when typing

Hello all, 

While conducting an interview on the phone today and trying to type notes into Evernote for Windows, I noticed that Evernote was not keeping up with my typing. The application would occasionally freeze and the "(Not Responding)" message at the top would appear. Then, it would catch up after so many seconds. The application has done this before today, and I am interested in finding out why. I am set to sync automatically every five minutes, but the freezing was happening every 30 seconds to 1 minute. I have the Basic version. 

Any insight much appreciated! 

Elise

• Level 5*

This has been a recurring issue for EN for some time, just search the forum and you will get many threads.  I believe it has less to do with synching and more to do with whatever processes EN performs in the background to index your notes. 

Supposedly the more recent versions are less prone to the issue.  Are you on the current release?  If not, try upgrading. 

Others, myself included, have upgraded to solid state disk (SSD) which seems to virtually eliminate the problem.  A bit of a sledge hammer for a thumb tack approach but here are other benefits to SDD.

Windows 7 64-Bit

Evernote 5.8.8.7837 (275837) Public -- Premium Version

Windows patched up today

Symptom:

I also have encountered these issues of freezing/locking up the last week or so.  I also noticed a delay when closing out a note (either by pressing escape key or "X"). 

Troubleshooting:

While perusing the forums, I noticed that by holding down the Control Key and clicking on Help, I have access to more options:

Clicked on Optimize Database, which also cleans up the full-text indexing. 

Note: Considering that I've used this app quite heavily for a couple years, and have never done this maintenance, I'm going to give some benefit of the doubt to that being the fix for the near term. 

Outcome:

So far, so good.  The application appears to be snappier.  Noticeably quicker in closing out Notes, and nothing else was done (aside from Windows Updates). 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Last we heard,  the official response from Support was that the Ctrl+Help options (which are only available in Windows) are meant to be used only when asked to do so by them - that's why they're 'hidden',  and not open menu items.  Best advice would be - only use those options if you've tried and failed with every other fix you,  or we,  could think of - and always backup your database folder before you do so. 

• Evernote > Tools > Options to get the location,  then
  • File > Exit to unlock the file,  and backup / copy.

If things go wrong just copy it back to reset your system to its former sad - but hopefully working - state...

• Level 5*

Others, myself included, have upgraded to solid state disk (SSD) which seems to virtually eliminate the problem.  A bit of a sledge hammer for a thumb tack approach but here are other benefits to SDD.

As long as you're going to incur the expense of a SSD, might as well go all in and switch to a MacBook (Pro or Air), which come standard with SSDs.   :D   I own several.  (Sorry, Cal, couldn't resist the opportunity  ;) )

Haven't seen any recent reports of performance issues with EN Mac.

• Level 5*

As long as you're going to incur the expense of a SSD, might as well go all in and switch to a MacBook (Pro or Air), which come standard with SSDs.   :D   I own several.  (Sorry, Cal, couldn't resist the opportunity  ;) )

Haven't seen any recent reports of performance issues with EN Mac.

All my PCs henceforth shall come standard with SSD.  Don't know that I am ready just yet for a jump to the dark side.  ;)

Archived