Evernote keeps offering a tag that no longer exists

RobertJSawyer

I used to have a few notes tagged "Washington Trip."  That trip was ages ago, and I've deleted that tag from the notes related to it, and no longer have any notes tagged "Washington Trip," and "Washington Trip" does not show up when I display all my tags.

Nonetheless, whenever I got to tag a new note, as soon as I type "W," Evernote insists on offering that no-longer-used tag "Washington Trip".  How do I get it to stop doing that?  How can I expunge its memory of obsolete tags?  I only want it to offer up the names of tags I currently use.  Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not seen that particular problem before - have you emptied the Trash notebook (of any notes carrying that tag) ?  signed out of Evernote and back in?  Restarted the computer?  Has the deletion of this tag made it through to the server?  After all of the above if the autocomplete is still misfiring,  it's back to the bug report scenario...

..."report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

- if you're a premium or Business user,  you'll also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm weekdays,  PST)
  • Level 5

I used to have a few notes tagged "Washington Trip."  That trip was ages ago, and I've deleted that tag from the notes related to it, and no longer have any notes tagged "Washington Trip," and "Washington Trip" does not show up when I display all my tags.

Nonetheless, whenever I got to tag a new note, as soon as I type "W," Evernote insists on offering that no-longer-used tag "Washington Trip".  How do I get it to stop doing that?  How can I expunge its memory of obsolete tags?  I only want it to offer up the names of tags I currently use.  Thanks!

It sounds like you did this already, but:

If you right click on the tag in a note (note panel screen), there are 3 options:
  • Remove
  • Delete
  • Rename
If you select Remove, it will only remove the tag from the individual note, but the tag remains in the program.

If you select Delete, it will remove the tag everywhere. Due to the power of this option, Evernote will give a warning that asks if you are sure you want to delete. If delete is selected the action cannot be undone.

This also can be done with the Left Panel, but it you have a lot of Tags requiring a lot of scrolling, it is easier using an individual note.
  • Level 5*

All else fails, add the tag next time, sync, and then use the click on the tag in the note method referenced by jbenson to try and get rid of it again.

Archived