Capture multiple page forum thread under one note

A little bit of elbow grease: Clip the pages one by one and merge them?  :P

I think the thing to wrestle with here might be whether you really need each and every comment on a particular thread in your Evernote account. Maybe you do. In my case I just highlight the post I want and clip the selection.

• One thing to remember is that the web clipper will include the URL of the thread clipped from in the note's information.

Another point to ponder: When you do a search on the Evernote forum, it basically leans on a Google search. If you invert the situation from a Google search perspective, remember that the web clipper allows you to activate what they used to call "Google Simultaneous Search"... now called "Related Results", which brings up any related content in your account to the right of your Google search results.

star%2Bwars.PNG?dl=1

This is a way to make sure that you're "getting the best of both worlds"... and so maybe do not need to have Everything you can find in a Google search (or in a particular thread on a forum) in your EN account. 

If you insist... the best way to get multiple pages of a thread into one note is to clip them individually (you can make use of the web clipper's default notebook and/ or tag settings to automate the destination)... and then merge those notes in Evernote. The problem, though, is that as long as a thread is still active, there's always the chance of new comments coming in that you'll miss out on... so, once again, a clipping of the most pertinent post(s) on a thread combined with the automated backlink within Evernote might suffice.

The only way to be 100% thorough in your capturing would be to make sure that any new comments in a thread are emailed to you. What you can then do, is append those emails to one single note right from your email inbox:

• In the Subject line of your email, include the title of the note that you want to append to, followed by a space and a plus sign.

I'm totally new to Evernote, the merge option is what I was looking for (I tried to avoid doing it manually).

"In my case I just highlight the post I want and clip the selection." - any smart way to do it to save time? I don't want the whole thread, - I want the main post, and selected posts in this thread which are spread over multiple pages.

Thanks.

I'm totally new to Evernote, the merge option is what I was looking for (I tried to avoid doing it manually).

"In my case I just highlight the post I want and clip the selection." - any smart way to do it to save time? I don't want the whole thread, - I want the main post, and selected posts in this thread which are spread over multiple pages.

Thanks.

That's as smart as it get's, I'm afraid. Repetition is a necessary evil in this case. 

If you're on iOS there are some apps that will store your clips from your clipboard one by one and allow you to reshuffle them before sending to Evernote. Everclip and QEver are 2 that I have personally used.

Another workaround (on Windows):

1. Hit the "MultiQuote" button for multiple select posts in a thread
  2. Click on "Reply to X quoted post(s)"
  3. Select all the quotes in the post editor (Ctrl + A)
  4. "Copy selection" to Evernote keyboard shortcut (Windows button + A)
  5. Do not post the multiple quotes thereafter. Simply leave the thread.

That way multiple posts across the thread will be clipped directly to your Desktop Client in the form of multiple quotes, each giving the pertinent info. Give it a try... works like a charm.

multiquote.PNG?dl=1

• Level 5*

"In my case I just highlight the post I want and clip the selection." - any smart way to do it to save time? I don't want the whole thread, - I want the main post, and selected posts in this thread which are spread over multiple pages.

Thanks.

There are some clipboard utilities for the Mac that allow you capture multiple copies.  I would think there are similar utils for Windows.

Using this tool, you could copy selected posts, create a new EN Note via shortcut key, and then paste in from the Util.

Thanks for the info - i'm using Windows by the way.

Is there a way to take "screenshot" with Evernote Clipper or other extension(Chrome) and scroll down for that capture(i.e. the post is longer than "one screen" size)? The "Article" type of clip in Evernote Clip is not working well for capturing only the first post, and i'm trying to try to edit the note when capturing it as Article but cannot it properly - it does funny things(if there is an easy way to edit the note after capturing it as Article, just to have the first post - please let me know).

Multi quote as simplified article, merged into a note which contains only the first post(my above question in the reply) seems like a reasonable work around to capture a thread.

Archived