Almost shared a whole notebook by mistake thru chat!

hannaaase

I just don´t understand what Evernote is doing to it´s products these days. I had shared a note with a friend. He started a chat, I started responding. And then right before I hit send I see "Share notebook xxx" above the shat. So basically hitting the send button would have shared with him this totally private notebook that had nothing to do with the note I shared! I clicked it away, so the error is that it´s there by default for some reason when seeing a chat for first time. This was on mobile! (not web) 

• Level 5*

Hi. I've had similar experiences (not with chat) and I have recommended that Evernote enable us to put in some dummy controls like the ability to prohibit certain notes or notebooks from being shared. I don't think this is likely to happen, though, because it has been several years since I first raised a stink.

One inconvenient solution is to only chat from a second account. In my case, I created one account for my stuff and another for public stuff. Ironically, I was an advocate for easier sharing / joining of notebooks, but because of how it was implemented, my external brain had to be lobotomized.

Just crazy to think about creating an account for just chat as Evernote should of course with the huge company that they are have security as priority number one and should not make users worry or have to take extra steps themselves. Thanks for comment! 

I just don´t understand what Evernote is doing to it´s products these days. I had shared a note with a friend. He started a chat, I started responding. And then right before I hit send I see "Share notebook xxx" above the shat. So basically hitting the send button would have shared with him this totally private notebook that had nothing to do with the note I shared! I clicked it away, so the error is that it´s there by default for some reason when seeing a chat for first time. This was on mobile! (not web) 

Hi Hannaaase, 

It's not intended behavior that you have to share a notebook in order to chat. Can you help us understand what version of mobile you were on so we can better help understand what happened here? 

Nancy 

Yes, that´s why it was shocking to see that by default it wanted to send one of my notebooks in the chat! (without requesting it or even have used chat before) 
I´m on iphone6 pluss, newest ios8 version and newest evernote version. 

Archived