REQUEST: PDF Viewer Enhancements

I tend to keep a lot of PDF files in Evernote. I usually end up viewing them using Acrobat, b/c the Evernote PDF viewing capabilities are limited. Here are a few quick suggestions for some simple improvements that would make viewing PDF files a lot easier.

Improve navigation between pages

Moving between pages is awkward. You have to hit the arrows in the grey pop up window that says "Page 1 of 4593 pages" (uh, I have some seriously large PDF files)

• Make the PageUp and PageDown keys move one page backwards and forwards, respectively (as in Acrobat)
  • Make the Mouse scroll button not only move within a page, but automatically scroll to the previous and subsequent pages (as in Acrobat)
  • Include right side document scroll bar to allow "jumping" to other sections that might be hundreds or thousands of pages away (as in Acrobat)

Zoom function

It would be great to easy ways to zoom in and out when viewing a PDF.

• Use  the CTRL-Scroll button to zoom in and out (as in Acrobat)
  • Have buttons at top of note window that allow you to zoom the page to (1) fit entirely in the window, (2) fit horizontally, (3) fit vertically. These buttons might be useful for viewing other types of documents.

Document Navigational Links

Although links to external webpages work properly, the PDF links to internal pages don't work. The big area where this hurts is with the Table of Contents. Many documents have table of contents that are linked to chapters or headings inside the document. If you want to get to, say, the table on page 1282 of a document, it would be a lot easier to click on the link in the Table of Contents than it would be to hit the forward button 1281 times.

Thanks for all the great work that's gone into Evernote. You don't know how encouraging it is to see the steady stream of small improvements!

• 1 year later...

Hi Evernote-community!

I am a longtime Evernote-Fan nearly since the start, and I am finally planing on going premium in the near future. One of the reasons besides to support EN, is because i want to use it as a kind of DMS, with all my important documents in one premium account. 

Mostly this are PDFs, and the very limited PDF-Viewer is a real pita, when you want to operate with this goal of a "cloud-DMS". 

Keyboard shortcuts for scrolling between pages would change very much, and shouldn't be to hard to implement, at least compared to most other feature requests. But I think all ideas of the OP have their practical value, even more for those of us, who need this features for their normal workflow.

It was real sad to see EN loose its focus years ago, and ignored many real valuable request over those years, while wasting time with all those mini-apps, that died sooner or later. With focusing on the core app, and listening to the community i think EN can again become this innovative company, that again is loved by their fan base.. And not loved AND hated both for its self-ignorance..

This is especially confusing, when one looks at the potential, that EN could have for professional usage with a few extensions towards being a native DMS/Project management/Collaboration-Tool/Ect. This is where the money is; And thats why its hard to understand, why EN didnt really try to develop options for those professional users, or only tried halfway.

This is my first post in years, hence the new account, because i lost some time ago the faith, that our request here have any real impact at all.
But it seems that since 2015 EN has come to realize all this for themselves, and so now i try my luck again here..

Sry for off topics..

:)

So: +1 for:

• Make the PageUp and PageDown keys move one page backwards and forwards, respectively (as in Acrobat)
  • Make the Mouse scroll button not only move within a page, but automatically scroll to the previous and subsequent pages (as in Acrobat)
  • Include right side document scroll bar to allow "jumping" to other sections that might be hundreds or thousands of pages away (as in Acrobat)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Steve

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Cannot agree more strongly with both of the above two comments.  I am a premium subscriber, and the two items that would make EN so much more useful and robust, would be the way it handles PDF's, and the way in which it handles tables.  I would love for Evernote to be a OneNote killer, but these are two items that need serious improvement.

Archived