REQUEST: Swiping our tasks in Evernote mobile should be a must!

I have tried recently the Swipes add on for Evernote but I didn´t like the integration. It would be great if we could swipe our tasks/sentences in each note like Swipes is doing but inside Evernote and not inside their app.

Evernote team, I think the future is going this way, don´t you think?

You can "swipe" tasks with reminders in Evernote... because they appear in the Reminders list on mobile devices too. Currently, what you can do in iOS, for example, is swipe to the left to reveal options to complete the task or set a due date. I know this is not exactly the dynamic that swipes gives you... and also, I know that you're talking about being able to swipe tasks (with checkboxes) within a note... but it's highly unlikely that Evernote will go this route, given that they already set up a Reminders task list for us. Your best bet  (if you like swiping), would be to tinker with more 3rd party apps like "Sunrise", amongst others, which integrates nicely with Evernote. 

It also depends who's future you're talking about :-) ... The reason I don't think Evernote will ever offer us a polished full-on in-app task-management solution, is that it would detract from so many other 3rd party task-management apps that are built specifically for Evernote and that do such fantastic jobs. Gneo is another one that does a hell of a job integrating with Evernote, and has a breathtaking UI design, along with a very practical concept, centered around the Eisenhower matrix, notebooks and notes... Evernote would be shooting itself in the foot to build a better task-management solution in-app... they'd disenfranchise the developers they've worked so hard to include in the Evernote developers community. There wouldn't be much use for the Evernote Platform Awards if Evernote sought to outdo the "competition". To Evernote these apps are mutually beneficial... and in the spirit of living and letting live, they let 3rd party app developers work their own magic. No doubt we'll see more and more Evernote-based apps centered around task management. There are some pretty decent ones as it is :-)

The problem is, the Apps you are talking about and others that I´ve tried work in a way that I don´t like. For these Apps, a note in Evernote corresponds to a task and that does´t make sense to me because I already have all my tasks inside each note, because each one corresponds to a Project/Topic... 

I know it is important to Evernote to keep the Developers community close, but I could´t find a way to solve my problem. I don´t know if it is possible to Evernote´s API to allow developers to create Apps that work inside the Evernote environment and not outside. I think that would be a great way to go!

Frank, being very sleep deprived at the moment, I might be missing your point completely, but...

It seems to me that Evernote is already trying do what other developers have been doing for some time now. Their new focus on virtual work stations is, as far as I can tell, a copy cat of partner apps like Azendoo and Trello. And I have to say, my experience with customer service when trying out Azendoo late last years was amazing and nearly instant. The *only* reason I did not stay with is that it was overkill for my very basic need of sharing data with my husband. If they were an actual note taking app with EN's search & OCR abilities, I'd happily go back to using them. (Sorry EN, but your company focus seems to be all over the map this year and I'm seeing a lot more complaints on the forum from *paying* users in the last several months.)

The problem is, the Apps you are talking about and others that I´ve tried work in a way that I don´t like. For these Apps, a note in Evernote corresponds to a task and that does´t make sense to me because I already have all my tasks inside each note, because each one corresponds to a Project/Topic... 

I know it is important to Evernote to keep the Developers community close, but I could´t find a way to solve my problem. I don´t know if it is possible to Evernote´s API to allow developers to create Apps that work inside the Evernote environment and not outside. I think that would be a great way to go!

Hi "Cartageno", I've just taken a good look at the "Swipes" app. It imports all of your notes tagged with "Swipes" and includes a list of tasks, (each one working independently - so you can swipe them and drag and drop them within a list to reorder) , whether checked (green)/ unchecked (yellow) as action steps. I'm sure you know this already... but I was curious as to why you didn't like the "integration". Are you talking about the UI or perhaps something you would like to do but can't? I still need to tinker more with the app... but it seems to do what you want... or as per your feature request suggestion, maybe you'd just like to keep everything in Evernote for simplicity's sake? What would you want out of a 3rd party app?... or what do you think Swipes is missing? I'm asking because I enjoy the process of tinkering and trying to figure things out. In fact, I have recently written 2 posts on possible solutions for task management in Evernote, using my own system I like to call "Kanban Calendar"... Those 2 posts are part of a 5-part series, aiming to squeeze whatever possible out of Evernote as a "to-do" app - with each post presenting a totally different Evernote setup. Also, not my intention to spam the forum and promote myself - just that you might find those posts interesting. I don't personally use Evernote to manage tasks, but I like to tinker :-) 

Here's a link to the 1st post: http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/7/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-1-of-5

Frank, being very sleep deprived at the moment, I might be missing your point completely, but...

It seems to me that Evernote is already trying do what other developers have been doing for some time now. Their new focus on virtual work stations is, as far as I can tell, a copy cat of partner apps like Azendoo and Trello. And I have to say, my experience with customer service when trying out Azendoo late last years was amazing and nearly instant. The *only* reason I did not stay with is that it was overkill for my very basic need of sharing data with my husband. If they were an actual note taking app with EN's search & OCR abilities, I'd happily go back to using them. (Sorry EN, but your company focus seems to be all over the map this year and I'm seeing a lot more complaints on the forum from *paying* users in the last several months.)

Hi Wordsgood,

Wow! The forum seems to be eating into your sleep hours. I think it affects all of us to a lesser or greater degree. 

I've tried to keep up with news about new Evernote developments... but maybe you've read up about some specifics that I don't know of yet? All I know is that we have the up-and-coming "Work Chat" (I think for premium users)... and that they aim to use that as a collaboration tool. If I recall, there was mention somewhere about collaborating on tasks... but I just assumed that it would be more to do with collaborating on any given note... and in that sense, hinting at a similar dynamic to Trello, one could imagine. But how far would that go in the actual task structure setup? We'll just have to wait and see... but I would imagine that they'd be doing 3rd party Evernote app developers a disservice by implementing anything like what we see in the Evernote market, including apps that have recently won awards - such as the "Swipes" app (which won gold in the Best New Startup category).

I've done a lot of tinkering with Trello... and I somehow don't think that Evernote would go in that direction. Who knows? It would be interesting, though :-) 

Personally, I'd like to see Evernote come out with the ability to drag and drop items with a checkbox (or something similar) within at least a table setup inside a note. That way one could set up Kanban-type tables and then drag and drop elements/ tasks from one "stage" to another. Would be cool to see, even if I did not use it.

Haha, yes... my wife tried Azendoo and Asana... and, unless you are working with a team, "overkill" might be the right word.

As a side note... imagine if Azendoo had to expand and declare that they were also becoming a note-taking app/ file storage system, with OCR... the works... they would be crucified when not able to live up to users' expectations. That's why they stick to their niche... what they're good at. I know what you're saying with Evernote... but let's wait and see if they can also be good at the areas they're expanding into. The way I see it, they will be providing some extras... which I can either take or leave... but at the very least, I hope they will continue to improve the setup we already have, and not do away with public notebooks, for instance... plus address some of the little gripes that seem to be widespread. 

Frank, I'm just shutting down and too tired to quote your post or respond. Except to say that I'm basing my comments on the EN Blog and what staff have said here.

And alas, I can't blame EN for my lack of sleep. It's a combination of chronic pain, chronic insomnia because of said pain, and this week a very sick husband after an unplanned kidney stone operation. Not that you can normally plan those types of things...

• 5 months later...

I can say what my dislike of the Swipes app Integration is: In addition to taking quite awhile for a note to sync from Evernote to Swipes in certain cases (like tagging old notes, it took me over 24 hours for them to show up), the biggest issue is delaying reminders in Swipes doesn't sync back to Evernote, leading to desynced task lists where Evernote says the task is still due today and Swipes says it's due Tomorrow, which makes the whole thing useless.

Seems like something they could have figured out in half a year.

Archived