Update to latest version lost unsynced notes

jeffcmohr

Idea

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I just updated from Evernote 3.# to 5.# and I seem to have lost all of my unsynced notes. Are there any ways to recover these notes?

If you updated to EN Mac 5.6.x, there is a good possibility that Evernote created an "OLD" folder with all of your Ver 3 Notes prior to installing the update.  Evernote has moved the app data folder with Ver 5.6, and I don't remember the new location.  But you might do a Spotlight search on "Evernote" to find the "OLD" folder.

I am not sure of the exact procedure to restore Notes from the previous version.

Hopefully an Evernote employee will jump in here with instructions.

If you are a Premium Account owner, then I suggest you Submit an EN Support Ticket.

I hope you have learned an important lesson with this.

BEFORE you install/apply an Evernote Update, always:

1. Do a manual sync, and verify with the EN Web client that all your Notes are sync'd
  2. Do a full backup of the Evernote data folder

is it true that notes will gone if we update version. I lost my laptop, then install Evernote in my new laptop, with maybe lastest version. When I sign in, no things there, all my notes during last 2 year disappear. Im worried how to get them back as they are very important to me. I thought saving data on Evernote can never lost, so I put many things here.

please help if you know how to restore!

• Level 5*

is it true that notes will gone if we update version. I lost my laptop, then install Evernote in my new laptop, with maybe lastest version. When I sign in, no things there, all my notes during last 2 year disappear. Im worried how to get them back as they are very important to me. I thought saving data on Evernote can never lost, so I put many things here.

please help if you know how to restore!

Always good to know what OS you're using...

Log in via a browser to Evernote.com using your normal account details.  The online server is where Evernote stores all your notes when they are synced.  If your notes are there,  they're saved and can be accessed and restored to any other device on which you install an Evernote app.  Restoring a full database to local storage is only available on a desktop with a permanent storage device attached - ie a hard drive.  Notes can be downloaded to a mobile device if one or more notebook(s) are selected for "offline searching".

If you have any access to your old notebook,  or to a backup of that hard drive you may be able to get some or all of your notes back even if the notes are not stored online.  But if your notes were not synced back to the server for any reason,  the only place they existed was on that laptop.

Archived