One bug and two Improvements (maybe bugs too?)

AndreCarlucci

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for Evernote, it is awesome.

I have noted one bug I would like to share:

When you control+c/control+v something into a note, control+z doesn't work. It's really annoying some times.

Improvements:

1 - Wouldn't be better to have focus on the title instead of the body when creating a note?

2 - Hitting tab from the title doesn't go to the body of the note. Is it possible to go from the title to the body of a note without using the mouse?

Kind regards,

• Level 5*

1 - Wouldn't be better to have focus on the title instead of the body when creating a note?

Not necessarily, particularly if you prefer to let the auto-title feature create the title (I often do).

2 - Hitting tab from the title doesn't go to the body of the note. Is it possible to go from the title to the body of a note without using the mouse?

Yes. Just press the Enter key.

I like auto-title, but I hate when I change the first line and it changes the title again. I end up copy/pasting the first line to the title to be able to delete it (I don't like to see a duplicated line in every note: title + first line).

Great, pressing enter works, thanks a lot for that :)

Anyway, the problem remains. In every windows application hitting tab would take you to the next editable field (in this case: the body). Taking you elsewhere is not the best option in terms of user experience.

• Level 5*

Well, I'm sure that someone will drop in and ratify that view. I used to do tabbing around in UIs a lot before (worked on an application that implemented it to a high degree), not so much any more (not even sure how swell that would work in Visual Studio, my home-at-work). But I know, you keyboard jocks gotta keep the hands-on... :)

• Level 5*

Yes. Just press the Enter key.

Sometimes that works for me (EN Windows app on Win 7 PC). And sometimes, the cursor/focus disappears. The EN window is still the focus window. Pressing keys including arrow keys and tab key has no effect.

Edit: The cursor/focus disappearance seems to happen when I start typing a title, then add a tag, and return to editing title - hitting enter when I'm done editing the title makes the cursor disappear.

Edit: Actually, just had it happen when I created a new note, added a tag, then began typing in title field. Hit enter and cursor disappears.

• 1 month later...

Anyway, the problem remains. In every windows application hitting tab would take you to the next editable field (in this case: the body). Taking you elsewhere is not the best option in terms of user experience.

Just wanted to throw in, in support of this.  I know that enter moves to the body, but I've still pressed tab and ended up on a new note approximately eleventy billion times, because the muscle memory is so strong.

I would recommend having tab move to the body - as most people would expect due to consistency with every other program - and instead using ESC to get focus back on the note list (and from there use arrows to move to the next note if desired).  The Enter function should probably be kept as-is, or you'd have the same muscle-memory problem in reverse.

And of course, the mouse would continue to work for both tasks, as now.  This would be much more intuitive for keyboard users though IMO.

Archived