Penultimate notes cut off when viewing in Windows

Dean L. Surkin

I enter handwritten notes in Penultimate on my iPad (generation 4), current iOS. I sync all the notes to my office desktop, Windows 7-64 bit, SP1. I have the current version of Evernote installed, 5.3.1.3363 (not Premium).

When I view my notes in the right panel of the Evernote screen, the top and bottom margins are truncated by about half an inch, so I can't read the full page. When I view the notes in print preview, they appear correctly, and when I view the notes in my web browser (Cyberfox 28.0.1, 64-bit), they appear correctly. I'm afraid I cannot post a screen capture, because the notes contain confidential client information.

Notes created before April 3, 2014 display correctly. Notes created on or after April 3, 2014 do not.

My monthly usage at Evernote for syncing and storage is well under the limit.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this display problem. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my original post, there has been at least one upgrade to Evernote. They haven't addressed this problem nor has anyone other than Davearooo even seen it. I am not hopeful for a solution if not enought people see it and complain about it. It's a shame, because this makes the program significantly less usable for me.

I found this discussion involving a similar problem: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43734-evernote-502-and-livescribe/

I uninstalled Evernote and deleted the Evernote folder in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local

I still have the same problem.

The view in my browser is correct, and when I use print preview, it is correct. The view of Penultimate notes in my main Evernote screen in Windows, hoever, cuts off the tops of pages.

I am using Evernote version 5.04.3698.

I don't know if anyone has submitted a support ticket for this yet, so I went ahead and did it.

Here is the response from Evernote support:

I apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there was a bug causing this. I really appreciate your patience and understanding. I am so sorry about the inconvenience this has caused you.

The development team is aware of this. The Quality Assurance team lead will prioritize these bugs, and assign them to the development team.

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear a fix is hopefully in the works. I have the same problem. iPad + Windows and notes get cut off at the top by an inch or so, and sometimes at the bottom of the last page in a Penultimate note by many inches. Also, the truncated notes have an extra border around them per page rather than being white edge-to-edge using horizontal rules between note pages within the note viewing area. I can add screen shots if needed.

I see that my notes from 4/2/2014 and earlier look fine, from 4/7/2014 and onward they look different and cut off which is consistent with Dean's observed date of truncated notes. I wonder too if this could actually be caused by a Penultimate update? In any case, the way Penultimate notes are rendered in Evernote Windows was clearly changed at some point in time and it's tied to the saved notes. The change is both stylistically a bit different, and buggy as a possible side-effect of that, is my guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Exact same problem here.  Posted in another thread and someone directed me to this one.  Hope they fix soon - having to print the notes out to use at the PC to see the FULL page pretty much defeats the purpose of trying to go paperless.

• 3 weeks later...

Received a very polite email from the support guys, reassuring me that I wasn't forgotten about and that the issue was with the development team.

He also said that it maybe a number of days before I get an answer/fix, reiterating that you can download the images of the pages from EN or use the web client to access them. 

Received a very polite email from the support guys, reassuring me that I wasn't forgotten about and that the issue was with the development team.

He also said that it maybe a number of days before I get an answer/fix, reiterating that you can download the images of the pages from EN or use the web client to access them. 

Thanks for sharing these updates. Just recently starting trying to user Evernote more often and this problem is really unfortunate. Hoping we get a fix soon.

Not perfect by I have found a work around.  Add a blank page to the start and end of your notes, so start taking notes on page 2 and then once done, turn the page so you have a blank page at the end.

When you view in Evernote on your computer, it'll cut space from the blank pages, leaving all of your written notes untouched and readable.

It might be worth adding a line across the top of your blank pages, especially the one at the end of your notes, so Penultimate doesn't delete the empty page.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm having what appears to be the same problem with Evernote clipper (button) for Firefox browser and Evernote Windows client.

I use Evernote clipper to clip web page content (full article, simplified article, full web page, selected text with entire article selected - all truncate but to different degrees; doesn't matter whether I clip to web then sync to Windows vs clip to windows then synch to web; same symptoms):  

My Evernote Windows client is showing truncated versions of the notes.

My other Evernote clients are NOT showing truncated versions of the notes: Evernote Web, Mac, IOS, and Android. 

So, the full content apparently is in the database, Windows client just isn't showing all of it.  And, so far, it appears only the Windows client is impacted. 

Archived