Migrating data from mind maps to Evernote

• Level 5*

I've been using Freeplane (Freemind spinoff) mind maps as a place to collect notes and ideas, but it seems Evernote is a better way to manage this, leaving mind mapping apps strictly for brainstorming.

I've got several maps. Any suggestions on how to effectively (and with a minimum of pain) transfer the data from these maps into Evernote?

I can export the mind map as a html or xml file, but not sure how to import that into EN. Also I'm not sure if html or xml export/import is the most effective way to accomplish the transfer.

• Level 5*

I use MindJet as well as Evernote,  and it seems to me the two represent entirely different ways to capture information.  I save my maps as JPGs (which are OCR'd in Evernote) so I can search for content,  but I also attach my MMAP files to the note so I can edit them in MindJet.

• Level 5*

I use MindJet as well as Evernote,  and it seems to me the two represent entirely different ways to capture information.  I save my maps as JPGs (which are OCR'd in Evernote) so I can search for content,  but I also attach my MMAP files to the note so I can edit them in MindJet.

That seems like a useful way to keep track of mindmaps in EN going forward. But what I'm trying to accomplish is exporting my data from mindmap files into evernote. These mindmaps are more data repositories than they are brainstorming maps, which is why I'd like to manage this data in EN.

• Level 5*

OK, I've discovered that I can email the Freeplane exported html file to my EN email and it will dump the entire contents into one note. It would be much better if it dump the highest nodes into separate notes, or even each node into a separate note.

If that's not possible, it looks like I'm stuck with copying/pasting from this giant note into smaller notes that allow me to better organize the data. Not sure this is any easier than just copying/pasting from the mind map directly into EN and bypassing the email import of the html file.

• Level 5*

I can imagine there might be ways to export to Excel readable XML,  then import to a spreadsheet,  then manipulate the data and export sections to CSV text files which could be import-foldered into Evernote..  but you might be quicker just cutting and pasting.  If you can automate your cut and paste process,  AHK or something similar might speed things up..

• Level 5*

I can imagine there might be ways to export to Excel readable XML,  then import to a spreadsheet,  then manipulate the data and export sections to CSV text files which could be import-foldered into Evernote..  but you might be quicker just cutting and pasting.  If you can automate your cut and paste process,  AHK or something similar might speed things up..

Not a bad idea. Though the data loses it's content hierarchy (everything looks to be on the same level) and the hyperlinks. The former can probably be fixed by investing some time in manipulating the data in spreadsheet as you suggest. The missing links seems tougher.

• Level 5*

Most Mindmapping software allows to export a map into a txt- or word-file. Then you can import it into Evernote with copy and paste.

Yes, this is true. But I'm not trying to paste an entire map in one note.

I'd like to have each node, starting from the lowest level nodes, dump its content into a separate note. For a map with hundreds of nodes, this is lot of copy/paste cycles. And I have lots of maps.

I may just dump each map, or better yet, each top level node, into a note and then when I have to access the data, break out portions of it into separate notes. Not as clean as I would like, but it breaks down the herculean task of migrating all the map data into EN the way I would like it. And since the notes are still searchable, I'll be able to find what I'm looking for. 

Archived