(Archived) clipper does not install in Firefox 25

paulhebner

I tried installing Web Clipper on Firefox 25 and got the following error message:

"Evernote Web Clipper could not be installed because Firefox cannot modify the needed file."

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a fix? Evernote online help yielded no information at all.

FYI, I'm runninng Win XP, SP3.

Hi Paul,

We've seen a few more reports like that earlier. At this point we don't really know what's going on I'm afraid. A few affected users have had success when installing on a new Firefox profile (bot not a 100% fix). When we have a new version I will post it here. 

One idea is to try installing an older version from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

Hi paulhebner! I use Windows 8.1 and Firefox 25, so my suggestions may not work for you, but I have found that after a certain number of upgrades on Firefox instead of clean installs, I run into problems. Folders permissions are a funny thing and can get screwy over time and multiple upgrades. A short version of fixing this may just involve changing the permissions on the Firefox folder, but that can ***** up other things down the road sometimes. I would try the below.....

I highly recommend that you completely uninstall Firefox using something like Revo Uninstaller or Ashampoo Uninstaller 5. There are a lot of uninstallers, but you need one that can search for all the Firefox files that would be left over after a regular uninstall (there are a lot) and delete them.

You will first want to back up all your bookmarks and plugin data, and save all your preferred plugins by creating an account at Firefox's Add-Ons site and creating a list of your favorites. Your goal in the end is a fresh install of Firefox AND Adobe Flash AND Sun Java with zero older residual files or registry entries from the older program versions. Actually, you will want to uninstall Flash and Java first, also using Revo Uninstaller or something similar. Even after that, Adobe Flash and Java can stubbornly leave files on your system, so manually search for files and folders called Adobe, Macromedia, Sun and Java. The stubborn remaining files and folders typically reside in the Windows\System32 (and SysWow64 on 64 bit systems) folder after uninstalling the programs. They should all go unless you have programs like Adobe Reader or some other Macromedia related program installed (you can see what related programs may be installed by looking inside the Adobe or Macromedia folders to see if anything besides Flash or Java is labeled/shown in either one. If you already know all that, I apologize for the detailed description.

Once Flash, Java, and Firefox are all gone, reboot for good measure. Then install brand new copies of all three as well as your Evernote plugin. Do not install any other plugins prior to Evernote. See if you still have difficulties. Also make sure your XP install has all its updates. Use restore points during all of this if you like in case any Windows updates mess something else up or you delete something important while cleaning out old Firefox, Flash and Java installations.

One final suggestion....if the plugin still does not work well for you, perhaps the Evernote desktop version would be successful?

I've had the same problem for months (since Firefox 21 I believe) and I finally found a fix that worked for me.

Here were my steps:

1. Close Firefox.
  2. Using the firefox profile manager, create a new Firefox profile, then log into it.
  3. Install the Evernote Web Clipper add-on.
  4. Close Firefox.
  5. Copy the evernote_webclipper.sqlite file to from the new profile to the old profile (overwrite the old file).
  6. Copy the evernoteclips folder from the new profile to the old profile.
  7. In the old profile, go into the extensions folder, then look through each folder for the following folder tree:  chrome > content > common > images.  You can then use these images to verify that you are in the right extension folder (hint: there are a lots of elephants).  Move back to the [old profile]\extensions folder and delete the folder for that extension (MAKE SURE YOU ARE DELETING ONLY THE EVERNOTE EXTENSION). 
  8. In the new profile, go into the extensions folder and copy the folder for the newly installed EN web clipper (there should only be one, since that is all you installed) and paste the whole thing into the old profile extension folder.
  9. Open firefox.  You should be prompted to install the web clipper, and it should work as normal from there.

This is what worked for me.  I am not an Evernote professional, so take these steps at your own risk, but I hope that they help you like they helped me.

Thanks, Triballion, this worked for me - instantly fixed everything.

My issue was that the webclipper seemed to install OK, but didn't function at all - no sign in, no clip article or selection, and new note only worked once.

I've had the same problem for months (since Firefox 21 I believe) and I finally found a fix that worked for me.

Here were my steps:

1. Close Firefox.
  2. Using the firefox profile manager, create a new Firefox profile, then log into it.
  4. Close Firefox.
  5. Copy the evernote_webclipper.sqlite file to from the new profile to the old profile (overwrite the old file).
  7. In the old profile, go into the extensions folder, then look through each folder for the following folder tree:  chrome > content > common > images.  You can then use these images to verify that you are in the right extension folder (hint: there are a lots of elephants).  Move back to the [old profile]\extensions folder and delete the folder for that extension (MAKE SURE YOU ARE DELETING ONLY THE EVERNOTE EXTENSION). 
  8. In the new profile, go into the extensions folder and copy the folder for the newly installed EN web clipper (there should only be one, since that is all you installed) and paste the whole thing into the old profile extension folder.
  9. Open firefox.  You should be prompted to install the web clipper, and it should work as normal from there.

This is what worked for me.  I am not an Evernote professional, so take these steps at your own risk, but I hope that they help you like they helped me.

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, the problem is back, webclipper doesn't work again. After trying the fix posted above which solved the issue, I closed FF, repaired permissions, & shut down computer, and the next day when I tried to use webclipper it was back to not working in the same way - no selection or article clip, and choosing a new note only worked about 2 times out of 10, most of the time it opens the oldest note I have & then freezes.  I've reinstalled the addon & that doesn't help, and the permissions on all the folders involved are correct.

Hey Evernote!  Find a fix for this, I'm not going to futz around with deleting files every time I restart FF! 

Either fix the addon or pull it from use, it's not like it's a third party addon - You guys created Evernote and the Evernote WebClipper.

Are the changes to FF 25 so incredibly complex that your addon can't be adjusted?  I don't think so, because all my other addons still work just fine after the update.

Or isn't it important to Evernote that this addon that you promote on the Evernote website no longer works with one of the most popular browsers?

Come on, fix it, it's got your name on it -

Thanks, Triballion, this worked for me - instantly fixed everything.

My issue was that the webclipper seemed to install OK, but didn't function at all - no sign in, no clip article or selection, and new note only worked once.

Here were my steps:

1. Close Firefox.
  4. Close Firefox.

• 3 weeks later...

I installs fine on my laptop, wont install on my pc.

We dont really know what is going on.

__________ figure it out.

To all software developers, stop with your constant unwanted updates, my computer is not your _____________ playground.

Are we playing Mad Libs here? It was always one of my favorite games.

But seriously, you don't need to update if you don't want to. Some more conservative types wait and check the forums for issues before doing updates.

Best of luck.

My suggestion is you spend a little less effort insulting me.

A customer who is actually quite impressed with the product is soon going to stop using it.

I don't think it is supposed to work this way.

And you can rest assured I will never be driven by an update notification again.

Of course this was an intial install.  And it failed on 50% of the computers I tried it on.

I will not apologize for my bellicosity, anger or attitude.

Evernote is a business, fix your "_____________" product

No one here has insulted you. And, except for jbignert, no one in this thread is an Evernote employee, so, your anger is rather misdirected.

Evernote has responded in this and other threads. Should you need further assistance, I would suggest you fill out a support ticket. You can find the link in my signature.

Best of luck.

• Level 5

My suggestion is you spend a little less effort insulting me.

Wow! Take a chill pill, man.

megsaint offered some constructive and useful suggestions. I don't see anyway his comments could be considered an insult.

I sit on the sidelines for a couple months before hitting the Evernote upgrade. This gives me time to watch the user comments in the forum. And I am grateful for the folks who jump in straight away to work out some of the glitches.

The 2nd suggestion is also valid. Go to the source of the problem - Evernote - and notify the support people.

First off, Evernote was already aware of the problem when I posted.   That upset me even more, especially since this should have been easy to find out the first time the install failed.

C'mon, this isn't a bug, it is an outright failure.  Evernote was aware of it, why do I have to research it, Evernote makes it an official website notice.

Hey we have a known problem, we know about it, we are taking care of it, because if you can't install it, you can't use it, at all.

As far as sitting on the sidelines, I agree, and I think I have already made that clear I will be doing that from now on.

I have plenty more where this coming from, you want to hear it.

You Tube is going to start seeing videos posted of every single idiotic software problem caused by major software companies who have developers who think my computer is their playground and they have a right to come along and ***** up something I'm using.

No one is really being helped by ranting. We completely understand the frustration when software fails to behave as expected.

In this case there are multiple factors that may or may not contribute to the error and some user are affected but not all. 

- Firefox updates from version X to Y. There can be browser bugs that prevent stuff from working. 

- User may have other extensions installed that cause errors.

- OS & hardware configurations. 

- Settings in OS or Firefox.

As soon as we hear reports about an issue we try to replicate the error in the reported configuration OS / FF version / Clipper version. So far this has failed to reproduce in our testing.  

We collect logs from affected users that has the problem, usually that helps us a lot. We can rule possible causes out or in and get it fixed sooner. 

Posting on the forum is one way to get help primarily from other Evernote users. Personally I read every post related to Web Clipper & Clearly and try to be very active here.

Another way is to submit a support ticket at http://evernote.com/contact/support/

Archived