(Archived) Evernote update needs Avast shutdown - Eh?

alan666evernote

I just ran an update to Evernote and it popped up a box saying that Avast antivirus needs to be stopped for the update to continue.
I refused and it continued anyway but said a reboot may be required - it didn't ask for one in the end but I rebooted anyway.

Is this expected behaviour?

I posted a question on the Avast forums but they pointed the blame at Evernote.

I'm running the latest AMS 9.0.2006
Evernote was updating to version 5.0.3

Welcome to the forum

Strange, I have have had avast longer than Evernote on my machines, and never had this problem.

That said, somewhere along the line in updating to Windows 8.1 I have lost the installation of avast (Don't ask, I have NO idea :P)

So I may have missed this in the recent updates.

I will be installing it again soon I should think, so I will keep a watch out for it. :)

Scott

I just ran an update to Evernote and it popped up a box saying that Avast antivirus needs to be stopped for the update to continue.

I refused and it continued anyway but said a reboot may be required - it didn't ask for one in the end but I rebooted anyway.

Is this expected behaviour?

I posted a question on the Avast forums but they pointed the blame at Evernote.

I'm running the latest AMS 9.0.2006

Evernote was updating to version 5.0.3

I use McAfee & don't recall getting a message like this when installing/upgrading EN. Having said that, IME, it's not unusual at all for some third party apps to tell you to disable any AV when installing/upgrading. I usually don't do this.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/when-and-how-to-disable-antivirus-software.html

OK, not a big problem it's just that before this I've never seen ANY s/w asking for the Anti-virus to be shut down for upgrade/installation, you have to admit, it does look a tad suspicious!

It only happened on one of my machine, the other went through fine. Both running W7 with the samer versions of Avast & Evernote.

Also note that Avast has just been upgraded to a totally new release (V9) which appears to come with a few "features" they haven't quite ironed-out yet. That's why I went to the Avast forums first.

• Level 5*

If your Avast had spam or malware checking built in it might have connections to your browser / email client and if Evernote wanted to install new clippers,  it was maybe aware that changes to the software would cause problems unless Avast was sleeping.  Maybe.

Archived