Note is taking greater than 600 MB of memory

Hello,

My note of 58 MB in size, and containing 192 images, is currently taking slightly more than 600 MB of memory on my laptop.  Is this considered normal?

What can be done to reduce this heavy memory allocation?

Thanks,

Par

post-153228-0-41115100-1379945398_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hello,

My note of 58 MB in size, and containing 192 images, is currently taking slightly more than 600 MB of memory on my laptop.  Is this considered normal?

Thanks,

Par

Hi. As I read it, "Evernote" is taking 600 MB of memory. This is how much RAM it is using now, right? That has nothing to do with the size or number of notes you have. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

[Edit:] I misread the screenshot as storage, not memory.

• Level 5*

600 MB is considered normal? It is a very heavy use of memory.

Really? Foxit Reader is using half as much, but I would guess it is a less complicated app. I suppose it depends on what is happening as well. Is it processing, syncing, opening all of those 192 attachments? I wonder what would happen if the OP had 192 separate notes with one image each.

• Level 5*

That screen cap doesn't show enough detail. It doesn't reveal anything about physical memory usage vs. virtual memory usage, working set, etc. You need something like Process Explorer to really dig down into what's going on. Using a lot of memory isn't necessarily a problem; the OS works behind the scenes to make sure that an application has the memory it's using available, including caching files, which makes access faster, but that memory may not be locked in place, as Windows can just remove those files from the cache if it needs more physical RAM, without losing functionality -- things may just get a little slower. The real problems come when contention for physical RAM gets heavy, in which case your memory contents will be swapped in and out of memory and your page file, slowing things considerably. 

So the question is, if this is referring to physical RAM (though I'm guessing that it's actually referring to the virtual size of Evernote), is there contention for it? Remember, all thing being equal, empty physical memory isn't doing you any good.

That screen cap doesn't show enough detail. It doesn't reveal anything about physical memory usage vs. virtual memory usage, working set, etc. You need something like Process Explorer to really dig down into what's going on. Using a lot of memory isn't necessarily a problem; the OS works behind the scenes to make sure that an application has the memory it's using available, including caching files, which makes access faster, but that memory may not be locked in place, as Windows can just remove those files from the cache if it needs more physical RAM, without losing functionality -- things may just get a little slower. The real problems come when contention for physical RAM gets heavy, in which case your memory contents will be swapped in and out of memory and your page file, slowing things considerably. 

So the question is, if this is referring to physical RAM (though I'm guessing that it's actually referring to the virtual size of Evernote), is there contention for it? Remember, all thing being equal, empty physical memory isn't doing you any good.

Hi Jefito,

I don't fully understand how memory works in a computer.  I've attached a breakdown by resource monitor of Evernotes usage.  I divided my content into a smaller note and I just have the one note open (characters 1442, images 105, size 35.6 MB)...and now Evernote is taking 601 MB.     Are you guys experiencing memory usage as high as I am?

By the way thanks GrumpyMonkey for your replies too!

post-153228-0-46560500-1380005140_thumb.

No, with > 8000 notes less than 32 MB memory usage.

But: What is your problem? Your machine is no car where use of horsepower results in gasoline consumption. Modern machines have plenty of memory, and this memory is not there to be saved but used ... :-)

After rebooting my computer and opening Evernote, with more material this time (main window, plus two original notes that were giving me problems) - Evernote is only taking 244 MB of RAM.   I don't know how to explain that...a memory leak or something took too much RAM originally?

evb things were just running slower and my fan was making my laptop kind of loud.  I'm glad now that it is taking less resources.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

---

Evernote on my mac is a MASSIVE memory hog.  It's using over 600-megs of RAM for a fairly new and small database with almost all just text and a few non-text items. 

This slows down my whole computer as addibtional apps have to resort to virtual memory.  I'm afraid to see what happens if i ever try to add 100s or thousands of notes.

Could this be sloppy programming on Evernote's team?

• 1 year later...

Archived