Why did they take away ability to tag a note in Evernote for Mac?

aunttammie

Idea

Why is it no longer possible to add tags to notes when using Evernote for Mac? The webclipper doesn't allow it, and when I go into the whole evernote account to try to tag untagged notes, it isn't possible! Even the chat person on evernote admitted this! I used to be able to right-click on a note and tag it, but no more. That has been removed. There is no place on the screen to add tags. What is the problem? The only thing that the evernote person could suggest was dragging a note to an existing tag, but of course, that limits you to only one tag, and if you want to add a new tag you are out of luck.  

Is there a secret new method that I haven't found yet? Or is there some reason that the tagging capability has been removed from the Mac?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Why is it no longer possible to add tags to notes when using Evernote for Mac?

Is there a secret new method that I haven't found yet? Or is there some reason that the tagging capability has been removed from the Mac?

To add tags to a note:

1. Select the note from the note list.

2. In the note editor, click where it says 'click to add tags'

3. Type in all the tags you want, separated by commas.

The tags should autocomplete so you won't have to type in the full tag names; When you see the tag you want, just press enter.

I hope this helps.

Why is it no longer possible to add tags to notes when using Evernote for Mac? The webclipper doesn't allow it, and when I go into the whole evernote account to try to tag untagged notes, it isn't possible! Even the chat person on evernote admitted this! I used to be able to right-click on a note and tag it, but no more. That has been removed. There is no place on the screen to add tags. What is the problem? The only thing that the evernote person could suggest was dragging a note to an existing tag, but of course, that limits you to only one tag, and if you want to add a new tag you are out of luck.  

You can also use the shortcut ⌘' that'll send your cursor to the field where tags go in a note. It is easy to miss because it, as per Evernote for Mac's new design standards, does not stand out but has been given the grey-on-grey treatment and no discernible input field.

2. In the note editor, click where it says 'click to add tags'

That might just be the problem. You have to be able to actually see where it says 'click to add tags' to use it. Being grey-on-grey with no input field, it's easily missed. Even for those of us with normal sight.

I am feeling really stupid about this. Everywhere it says "click to add tags" and I have spent 15 minutes clicking and "nothing happens". I finally just started typing at the "click to add tags" point, and lo and behold, it puts in the tag. I think "click to add tags" is extremely misleading, as when one clicks something, one is expecting a response. For example, a dialog to open, or an entry field to appear.

Yet "nothing happens" so that there is no indication or cue to the user that the system is expecting typing at that point. When you click on "click to add tags", the system should respond with at least a color change or an appearance of an entry field. "Click to add tags" should otherwise be renamed to "To add tags, click and start typing". Of course that is clunky, and it would be far better to have the system reveal some sign that you are now in an entry field other than the blinking cursor, which is not enough of a visual cue.

I totally agree - I had precisely the same problem and only figured out the solution by reading this Q&A.  Thanks for explaining!

Note to Evernote:  create some cue when the user clicks on the Tag button, so that it appears live and prompts the user to start typing the tag name.

Archived