(Archived) offline usage

Mary F

My tablet has wifi only and I do not have a premium package yet.  I'm trying to understand why in one case I could access notes offline and then later couldn't. 

Sitting at work with no internet connection I was able to open and edit a note that was typed or cut and pasted into Evernote.  The note contained a list of what I needed to research.   I couldn't open the attached pdf.  I printed the pdf and figured "great, I'll have the information I need."  

The next day I was in a courthouse and tried to open the Evernote note.  It wouldn't open because I didn't have an internet connection.  I ended up having to find a local library and cut and paste the note out of Evernote and into my word processor.  Then I went back to the courthouse.

Back at work today and I can open the note.  Even tried turning wifi off and the note still opened. 

Why can I open it one place and not another?   I'm trying to find the consistency of accessing notes.

Mary Beth

My tablet has wifi only and I do not have a premium package yet.  I'm trying to understand why in one case I could access notes offline and then later couldn't. 

Sitting at work with no internet connection I was able to open and edit a note that was typed or cut and pasted into Evernote.  The note contained a list of what I needed to research.   I couldn't open the attached pdf.  I printed the pdf and figured "great, I'll have the information I need."  

The next day I was in a courthouse and tried to open the Evernote note.  It wouldn't open because I didn't have an internet connection.  I ended up having to find a local library and cut and paste the note out of Evernote and into my word processor.  Then I went back to the courthouse.

Back at work today and I can open the note.  Even tried turning wifi off and the note still opened. 

Why can I open it one place and not another?   I'm trying to find the consistency of accessing notes.

Mary Beth

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29001-offline-massive-confusion/?p=156667

• Level 5*

You don't say what type of tablet you have, so I'll restrict my comments to the iPad.

EDIT:  I didn't notice the "Android" tag until AFTER my post.

While you may be seeing some strange behavior that is either a bug and/or design flaw, it most likely is due to the temporary caching of Notes.  When you open a Note while connected to the Internet, EN will download the full note and attachments into temporary storage on the iPad to made immediate access faster.  However, there is no guarantee that this temp storage will last more than even a few minutes.  It MIGHT last a day or two in some cases, but only 5-10 min in others

If you want reliable, consistent access to your Notes without an Internet conncection, then you will need to upgrade to a Premium account.  This will allow you to create Offline Notebooks on the iPad which can be accesses with or without an Internet connection.

These same comments apply to all iOS devices.

Archived