(Archived) Evernote Sharing - What account? Limits?

Here is my scenario.

I currently have had a Free account as I get to know about Evernotes' capability. I'm very impressed. 

I wish to have 2-4 notebooks, which will have a minium of 1100 pdf files amongst them.  Some may be just over 100megs each, but most are not.   I should be the only one who can add to these folders. 

I would like the ability to share these notebooks with anybody who has an email address that I've granted access to them.  (They may or may not have an Evernote account, but would be encouraged to get one).  All of us should be able to search amongst all Pdf documents contained, with in these notebooks exclusively or shared to them (If I need to have a seperate account than my personal one that's fine.)

Do I need to have a Premium or Business account?
Do they need to have a Free, Premium, or Business Account?

What are the limitations  imposed if I had a Free, Premium, or Business account under this scenario?

If I wanted to allow users to add notes to another notebook, would their account status need to change?

Is there any legal issues with having a business account for each person, and charging a user for access to my notebooks?

Thanks,

Rich Wilson

I wish to have 2-4 notebooks, which will have a minium of 1100 pdf files amongst them.  Some may be just over 100megs each, but most are not.

Evernote notes for premium accounts are limited to 100 megs. Free accounts have a smaller limit, but I forget what it is.

Have you searched the board on sharing? I rarely use sharing but it has been discussed a lot. I suggest you read existing posts to get a feel for what you can or cannot do.

• Level 5*

Definition of Disaster: doing a big-bang launch with a lot of data in infrastructure you haven't tested to death first...

Viewing files in Evernote is easy - if you're a Premium user you can store up to 100MB per note  and anyone with the note URL could see but not change it in a browser.

But you're talking about a minimum 1,100 large files.  Your Premium upload limit is 1GB/ month - x10 files.  You can buy more - maybe enough to load 20-30 files each month. 

You need 3 years to complete your uploads.  That's assuming that you didn't change any of the files you uploaded already,  because edits will mean a re-upload...

Even if they increase some of the limits in the next year it might take a while to get your scheme off the ground!

You need 3 years to complete your uploads.  That's assuming that you didn't change any of the files you uploaded already,  because edits will mean a re-upload...

Even if they increase some of the limits in the next year it might take a while to get your scheme off the ground!

Yeah... I'm seeing that, unless limit's are changed or can be purchased, or with a business account.  The total today of the 1100 files is 24GB.  I just did a random check. One section, had 385 files, totaling just under 10GB, with about 25 of them being just over 100megs.

• Level 5*

Yeah... I'm seeing that, unless limit's are changed or can be purchased, or with a business account.  The total today of the 1100 files is 24GB.  I just did a random check. One section, had 385 files, totaling just under 10GB, with about 25 of them being just over 100megs.

Not quite three years, but it may take a few months. I've got the relevant limits and options here http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

There are a lot of potential problems with this scheme. Evernote desktop applications require you to download all of the data in a joined notebook (as far as I know). For people with storage restrictions (Macbook Air, Microsoft Surface Pro, etc.), joining your massive notebooks would wreak havoc. In addition, initial sync times for such a massive amount of data would be awful. It probably takes about a week for you to download the entire account the first time. Evernote will not OCR large files, so if you were expecting that, then you'll have to look for another option. In addition, I wouldn't call Evernote exactly "easy" to use with PDFs that contain hundreds of pages. It isn't a PDF reader, and isn't very browsable. 

The issue here (beyond the selective sync) is that Evernote is designed to accumulate memories over time, but what you are looking to do is hook up a database to it. I think the best method, though a little more costly over the long term, is to either put the files in Dropbox / GDrive and link to them, or host the files on a server yourself. It's not that Evernote "can't" do what you want, and Evernote might even be a great solution for what you have in mind, but it comes with some restrictions that you'll have to navigate. 

The issue here (beyond the selective sync) is that Evernote is designed to accumulate memories over time, but what you are looking to do is hook up a database to it. I think the best method, though a little more costly over the long term, is to either put the files in Dropbox / GDrive and link to them, or host the files on a server yourself. It's not that Evernote "can't" do what you want, and Evernote might even be a great solution for what you have in mind, but it comes with some restrictions that you'll have to navigate. 

Thank you.  I agree.  As I researched this more I was going the same direction, just trying to automate the Note creation a little better.  I'm more interested in the searching ability of Evernote, then making it a database of files.  I'm not opposed to the GDrive\etc approach at all, just trying to index it.  It looks like I would probably have to manually enter each file info in anote and tag it properly, then control the access to the files at the Ddrive level. 

Thanks

• Level 5*

Thank you.  I agree.  As I researched this more I was going the same direction, just trying to automate the Note creation a little better.  I'm more interested in the searching ability of Evernote, then making it a database of files.  I'm not opposed to the GDrive\etc approach at all, just trying to index it.  It looks like I would probably have to manually enter each file info in anote and tag it properly, then control the access to the files at the Ddrive level. 

Thanks

I am sorry to say that there is no simple solution for you at the moment if you need the PDFs. I mean this literally. G-Drive is hopelessly flawed, because it will not index past about 100 pages of a PDF, EVEN IF YOU OCR IT. G-Drive has all kinds of other interface issues, but this one is really critical. I am a researcher, and a partial search like this is astoundingly useless. It is very sad, but no amount of pleading with the folks at Google has gotten them to budge in more than a year of paying for the service. *sigh* Dropbox will not index your content either, but there may be a third party integration (in fact, I am pretty sure I tried one out once) that will.

I have found a perfect solution for me (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127). However, I'll be the first to admit that textifying PDFs, putting the text into Evernote, and putting the PDFs into Dropbox is not going to work for everyone. It does do a couple of nice things for you, though. It gets you the search features of Evernote, and about 3,000 PDFs (in my case) is only 1 GB of data, so you could theoretically be up and running in a few hours instead of a few months :)

Archived