(Archived) Multiple versions of attachments

UncleDaddySwiss

Getting very frustrated with this ***** of a program again.

Now I have multiple versions of an attachment in the database, marked with [2], [3], etc. at the end of the file name. The reason I looked at the database, is because I tried to update a spreadsheet that was already attached to a note. I saved the file WHILE evernote was open, the way you're supposed to do it from what I've read. I didn't have any other copy of evernote running in any other device. Now my "current" version (atleast I think) is in a folder called "Conflicting Changes." What I want to know is Why is it there, why didn't it sync like it always had, and what can I do about it? I have been updating these attachments for weeks now. What happened this time? I use this program to update work notes, and its completely UNACCEPTABLE that I have to spend an entire afternoon/night solving problems with this ***** program, IN ADDITION to typing up the notes. This is pathetic. Evernote comes out with stupid new products like Food, Hello, etc, and their original idea doesn't even work for *****. GET IT TOGETHER. The logo is an elephant, and the idea is that evernote never forgets-- for me, it never remembers.

edit: ***** is a bad word? Then you really don't want to know what I REALLY wanted to say.

Ok, I apologize, I was frustrated. I feel very uneasy about trusting this product for keeping important notes, especially for work. But at the same time, I love the format and features. I would like to figure out what went wrong. I understand why conflicting changes occur normally. Making changes on one platform before synching from another. But this time I was only working from my laptop, and I had been saving periodically, and they had stuck. I thought anyway. Then all of a sudden, it wasn't sticking anymore. When saving an attachment within a note, do I need to save the attachment AND sync, each time? I had been saving the attachment (in open office) but not synching every time. I thought I could just sync it all when finished.

Hi,

Yes it can be very frustrating when things don't go well and you appear to be putting the effort in to get it right. Like all things you will only find out what went wrong and get the help you need by working at the problem a bit at a time.

I think you appear to be a reasonably seasoned user of Evernote? 

You don't need to sync after ever document (within a Note) is worked on and saved. But you do need to make sure you have synced before you shut the device you are working on down.

However I am not sure what the technical criteria is for automatically saving the document with a new version number on the end. That is something we shall have to wait and see what support have to say, or one of the other Evangelists.

With this in mind, I strongly suggest, that if it is continues to happen, it may indeed be something you are doing differently and might be worth raising a ticket with support.

Best regards

Chris

I have submitted a support ticket on the problem, we'll see what they say. As for the numbers on the ends of files, this is an example of what I'm talking about: InsertCrossRef[5].xls. There is also - InsertCrossRef[5].xls.eninfo. The [5] I did not put in. If there is no need to sync after each save, then I am at a total lose as to what happened. Like I said, I had only been updating/accessing from the laptop at the time this happened. I want to keep using evernote, but really dont trust that my notes are safe.

Hi,

I wouldn't let a problem like this cause you to loose faith in Evernote.

Good job that you have reported it, wait and see what support have to say.

Best regards

Chris

I guess if you want perfection you would have to pay for it. The best way of doing that of course is have a software techie either right your software and work for you. Second would be to have a software techie work for you but on your existing software. In my years of running and selling very expensive programmes since the start of DOS I have never known any software from any company not have some problems.

For me it is how important the software is and how difficult it is to get over the problem.

Weighing those things up has to be your primary goal. Once decided you obviously need to stick with your decision. I hope you find some peace in trying to reach your goal.

Best regards

Chris

Ok well first I'm not after "perfection," but who wants to spend hours of their free time, yes, I'm using my free time at home to update my work notes, only to lose it in seconds? I don't expect Evernote to be flawless, but saving notes is its primary function. And second, no, I don't have a techie, but I do pay for a premium Evernote account, and I do expect better than this.

I have to be honest here, I think it took a lot of balls to write what you wrote.

I have to be honest here, I think it took a lot of balls to write what you wrote.

Sorry my friend, I have no idea what you mean.

As mentioned, having been involved with software both from design and sales to using it for a long time I fully appreciate the frustrations and that the only way you can get 'exactly' what you want is to pay for it. I have been in companies that have done that. 

Other than that, we need to work with what we have. You are experiencing a problem that I have not heard of before. Not saying none of the other 50 million users has experienced it. That should tell you that it is rare and that you need support of the people who wrote the software. I am pleased that you have gone down that route.

Best regards

Chris

I have to say that I am surprised with your rather cavalier attitude toward lost time and energy. I invite you to post your Positive attitude when you have lost hours of work. As I mentioned, I do pay for the service. Not a personal techie, as you put it, but I pay for a premium account. I feel cheated. What am I getting for my money? Not even the note that I spent much time on. I know you personally can't do anything about it, but I don't appreciate you downplaying the issue. Like i said, let me know when you lose work, and tell me how much faith you have in the service when you do. I admit, I could move to another service, but the thing is, this could be a great product if it just did the basic thing it was designed for: save notes. The features admittedly can't be beat.

Hi Again,

I have lost a lot of time with Evernote! I doubt you are interested, but if you go back through my posts you will find that is case.

It is always about weighing up the positive and negative and making the decision if you want to continue. I did that and my decision was easy. I worked with Evernote and they gave me their full support. What more can you ask for?

It took me weeks to get the problem sorted and as it happens I have been working this last couple of weeks on another serious problem. But you know the interesting thing? I was the only person who had the problem. That told me there was something wrong with my set up. I worked with the support personnel who were fantastic. The cost in time was huge but I kept at it and between support and me we resolved the problem. I didn't gripe, I didn't moan, I just realised that these things happen and dealt with it.

So I am sorry that you think I have a cavalier attitude, but that is just not the case. I have been working with various software problems ever since computers became an important part of what I do. Sometimes I realise it is not worth pursuing the cause so will drop the software and move on to something else. As it happens that is how I ended up here, having worked with Microsoft OneNote for four years. I realised that the last version which was supposedly able to work with my iPad was just not possible. So I searched and found Evernote and have not looked back since, even with the many problems I had!

I hasten to add that I replace my Windows laptop about once every 12 - 18 months. When it goes wrong I have a rule and give it about 3 hours maximum and if I cannot fix it, I buy a new one and start again. The cost of replacement is far cheaper than me wasting even 3 hours of my time.

The point I am trying to make is that 'everything' in the computer world goes wrong at some time. It might be because of a genuine fault with the software or hardware. Or it might be that the way you operate is having an affect on either. If you want help ask and if it is given you know you are on to a good thing. If you ask and don't get, then maybe you have made the wrong decision and it is time to move on. Have you ever tried to get support from Microsoft? I have on a few occasions and gave up. I so wish I could run my business on Apple Macs! I have three at home. My Daughter has been using an iMac 25 for over 7 years and it has never gone wrong apart from needing an odd reboot. My iMac 27 which is used for photographic and video work is the same and my MacBook Pro which apart from the motherboard failing when new has not missed a beat. How great that would be for me in my business. Sadly I use software that can only run on Windows and I cannot bring myself to use something like Parallels which allows you to run Windows on a Mac. During the time of Mac ownerships I have replaced my work laptop at least 6 times! 

So once again, in my opinion you need to make a decision. Is Evernote good enough and the support worthwhile to hang on in there with a problem that very few, if anyone else has? Or should you move on and try something else? Either way it is your decision. All the likes of myself can do is offer advice, help if we can and assistance in how you should go about getting the problem resolved.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

LMFAO...it must be nice to be able just go out and buy A new computer every time a bug crops up, but us common folk can't go and get a new one every other week when we get bored with the color...LOL. idiot

OK, this thread is done. Personal attacks are not allowed here. Chris *volunteers* his time here to help other people out. Good luck with your problem. Locking the thread.

Archived