New Feature Request: abbreviated search qualifiers (tag, intitle, etc)

hachkc

This is an issue for me and possibly some others but I'd like to see an option to abbreviate the various search qualifiers (tag, inititle, created, etc). I quite frequently will do searches using several of these qualifiers and in some cases I'll spend more time typing the actual qualifiers instead of my search values. I'd like their to be some sort of shortcut so instead of typing

tag:hfhs intitle:inst* intitle:pmf created:20130101 (52 chars)

I could type

t:hfhs i:inst* i:pmf cr:20130101 (33 chars)

I do this sort of stuff dozens of times a day so its more of an irritant than a life threatening issue but typing 2 or 3 intitle searches together is annoying especially when typing on a tablet or phone. I've seen folks suggest using some macro utilities like AHK but that seems a bit overkill and becomes very device specific. One of the advantages of EN is its cross platform support. On any given day, I'm using it on a several Windows machines, my android phone and an iPad.

Kyle

This is an issue for me and possibly some others but I'd like to see an option to abbreviate the various search qualifiers (tag, inititle, created, etc). I quite frequently will do searches using several of these qualifiers and in some cases I'll spend more time typing the actual qualifiers instead of my search values. I'd like their to be some sort of shortcut so instead of typing

tag:hfhs intitle:inst* intitle:pmf created:20130101 (52 chars)

I could type

t:hfhs i:inst* i:pmf cr:20130101 (33 chars)

I do this sort of stuff dozens of times a day so its more of an irritant than a life threatening issue but typing 2 or 3 intitle searches together is annoying especially when typing on a tablet or phone. I've seen folks suggest using some macro utilities like AHK but that seems a bit overkill and becomes very device specific. One of the advantages of EN is its cross platform support. On any given day, I'm using it on a several Windows machines, my android phone and an iPad.

Kyle

Saved searches.

In what way? I am familar with Saved searches as I do have several that I use frequently but how do you see them helping here. I'm not always looking for the same thing but its typically some combination of a number of tags and intitle values.

• Level 5*

I'm doubting that Evenote will change their actual search grammar; they tend to be very loath to do so (since it affects all clients plus the server) in general. I suppose that individual clients could make this kind of change in their own timeframe and translate to the standard grammar. They'd need to translate to the standard grammar so that saved searches work across all platforms. Hard to know if they'll actually do it or not.

In what way? I am familar with Saved searches as I do have several that I use frequently but how do you see them helping here. I'm not always looking for the same thing but its typically some combination of a number of tags and intitle values.

Well you've said you don't want to type the current names of the qualifiers. You don't want to use text expanders. The only thing left is saved searches & yeah, if you're not always looking for the same thing, you may need to change the tag(s) or the created date. But those are pretty much all your options.

Archived