(Archived) If you delete photos from iPad skitch, it deletes them in your Evernote notebook too?

thesheep

I took a lot of photos with Skitch on my iPad. I organized them later on my Mac into different Notebooks.

I then deleted all the photos from Skitch on my iPad because my iPad's memory is almost full.

I realized that all the phots were then deleted from my evernote? So, Skitch has 'master' control over the future of your photos?

Thank you.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Particularly as the Skitch app has no security log-in and there is no way to even hide the documents on the iPad screen when you open the app. I believe that you can copy the note in Evernote and then delete the original in both Evernote and Skitch.

@thesheep - Skitch cannot, due to the way iOS works, delete your photo roll directly. If you copy a photo into Skitch (or save a photo to the Photo Roll) then you have 2 copies of the photo on your device. One in the Photo Roll (controlled by iOS) and one in Skitch (controlled by Skitch). Interacting with either will not impact the other.

In regards to your images within Skitch disappearing the most likely cases are:

1. If you delete the note in either Evernote or Skitch, then the note will be erased. Since Skitch and Evernote (desktop or mobile) all use the same Evernote Sync service, a change made using one app on one device will be reflected in any other app/device that uses your Evernote account.
  2. If you copy the note in Evernote (using the copy function, or by dragging the note out and back in, then there is a chance the note could lose some data that tells Skitch about the Note. It's best to move the note instead of copying to another folder. This can be done in Skitch by looking at the note's information (on an iPad, touch the "i" at the top of the screen and from there you can change the Notebook.
  3. If you drag the image out of the Skitch note (to another Evernote note, or your desktop and back) there is a chance it could also lose the data we need to know it is a Skitch Note. Again it's best to move the note, rather than do try and copy the image directly.

In cases 2 and 3 you can try and recover the image back into Skitch by saving the images to your Photo Roll and then re-opening them in Skitch (please note this will duplicate the Note in your Evernote account). Unfortunately you may end not being able to edit old Skitch annotations.

We're working on a solution for cases 2 & 3 which would ensure the images remain editable.

Archived